Mead timeline?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tCan

Reaction score
I've got a mead in primary. 2 pounds of honey to 7 pints water. Added sugar to IG of 1.091 Running this with Lalvin K1-V1116.

I've made plenty of wine before, but I'm not sure how long this mead is going to take to get through primary. That and I'm using an opaque bucket this time instead of clear glass or plastic. It's been a week now and the airlock isnt bubbling as much as it used to. Should I go ahead and take a gravity reading or does mead need a bit more time to clean up?

If you're monitoring pH levels and providing staggered nutrient additions, you can finish primary in 5-8 days. If not, it'll take longer to finish.

I've not staggered the nutrients, but I did add them at the beginning. Mine has been going (quick note check) 12 days and i'm going to rack it today.

It's a ginger mead, and a quick sniff of the top of the air lock makes it seem very promising.

Dicky

Nutrients upfront are better than no nutrients, but yeast don't need all the nutrients at once. A rule of thumb is add them at the beginning, and then add them once fermentation is 1/3 or so done, although I add them at more intervals than that.

Mines smells a bit like vinegar. SG of 1.04 currently. I started on the 5th, and did a "slow pitch". Never activated the yeast. Just pitched it right in. I'm going to be pissed if this is vinegar.

Back