MDF Sealer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxkling

Reaction score
I have a work bench that has an MDF board top that I'm using as my brewstand.

Does anyone have experience with using a sealer that will take the high temperature of a kettle on top? If I remember all poly sealers I have used for wood will get tacky when something hot sits on it.

Need some insight.

There is no affordable sealer that will do what you're looking for. Also, MDF is horrible in wet environments; it'll swell faster than you'd ever imagine. Why not find some sort of sheet metal or other sheet good to clad the MDF in?

I'm more thinking of something like a bar top sealer. I'd really like to just seal the MDF so water and fluid wont be an issue. I remember a long time ago, at a restaurant I worked at, they sealed the bar but I can't remember how heat affected it.

Does anyone have experience with this. I know you use a sealer first then used the filler leveling coating.

I think your thinking of self leveling epoxy I don't know if that would hold up to the temps of a boiling pot. What about getting a sheet of firmica and laminating the top of it.

The epoxy gets soft with heat. Tried to use it on a pinch for some carbon fiber parts that broke on my race car. Not a good ideal and it gets pricey. I lined my walk-in ferm. Camber with FRP. Great for wet environments and ok in mild heat(no direct fire).

I don't know how well it holds up to extreme heat but I know people use fiberglass resin to seal mdf in car audio, marine audio, and other outdoor audio applications. The inside of a boat bilge/engine compartment holds up ok, so it has to hold up to moisture and a minimal amount of heat. You'll have to apply it and then sand it flat depending on the topcoat you use.

Back