MD spring brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just emailed a bunch of representatives and senators in MD to fight House Bill 832 and Senate Bill 717

Here is the language of the bills:

"Increasing the State tax rates for alcoholic beverages sold in Maryland from $1.50 to $10.03 per gallon for distilled spirits, from 40 cents to $2.96 per gallon for wine, and from 9 cents to $1.16 per gallon for beer; providing for the distribution of the additional revenue to special funds to be used only for the purpose of providing additional funding for specified health services; etc. "

This is messed up. That's a huge tax hike. I hate that alcohol tax is so often used as the revenue generator. I let them know that if this passes my purchasing of commercial products will drastically decrease.

Couple this with the targeting of some of my favorite and most frequented beer bars in Philly, and I'm an unhappy homebrewer right now.

I emailed everyone in my office regarding this already. Total ********!!

I'm gonna work up a bountiful nastygram later tonight.

For those of you in MD who want to write up your legislator, see the link on Clipper City's blog

Not to mention, if a tax hike of that much enough to prevent me from purchasing beer, I'm sure I'm not alone. This state literally hates businesses, they don't have to say it, their taxes on them says it all. If I were ever fortunate enough to start brewing commercially, MD would probably be the last state in which I'd establish myself.

Enough venting. I'm gonna calm myself by making some mead :)

In my letter to my local rep, I basically said that I hope people just start making their own beer and taking the money out of the hands of the greedy politicians. Sure, it's not good for the business owners either, but one that (now that I can make my own) I can pretty much live without.

In my letter to my local rep, I basically said that I hope people just start making their own beer and taking the money out of the hands of the greedy politicians. Sure, it's not good for the business owners either, but one that (now that I can make my own) I can pretty much live without.

Awesome new subtitle Al :rockin:

I think its actually incredibly lame!

Maybe I haven't gotten acquainted enough with you guys yet, but Stefin you and Al seem to have this sibling rivalry thing going, ever since the day I started coming to brewday. Al's comment just seems to reflect that quite appropriately. Just my $0.02 :p

Maybe I haven't gotten acquainted enough with you guys yet, but Stefin you and Al seem to have this sibling rivalry thing going, ever since the day I started coming to brewday. Al's comment just seems to reflect that quite appropriately. Just my $0.02 :p

:p hes still my *****! and his meade is not as good!!!!

I'm bringin a bottle of my Orange Blossom on the 10th. Hopefully some of you guys will enjoy it. Definitely not as sweet as the stuff we usually have there.

Edit: Have you read The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm? Definitely a good read.

I'm bringin a bottle of my Orange Blossom on the 10th. Hopefully some of you guys will enjoy it. Definitely not as sweet as the stuff we usually have there.

Edit: Have you read The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm? Definitely a good read.

I think Stefin and I both enjoy ours quite sweet, but as long as it's not too dry - I can't wait to give it a shot.

And yes, I have the mead maker's bible...I love it, although I haven't opened it since i started making mead. Should probably re-read now that I'm making mead all the time.

I'm still not 100% sure if I can make it, but I'm hopeful, so I'll just plan on doing my own 5 gal batch. If I can make it I'll hopefully be bringing 2 noobs with me that have made a couple of extract batches on their own, but want to check out the AG process.

Could someone PM me the address please?

:p hes still my *****! and his meade is not as good!!!!

That'll be the day.

Are either of you guys entering anything in the Mazer's cup?

No way. 1) I don't make enough mead that I feel like giving any way. 2) I don't think sweet meads get enough appreciation and would probably be dinged by the judges 3) Stefin says my sweetness has a raw/unfermented honey quality that would judge poorly...which I don't understand because if you have sweet mead there's unfermented honey. I've yet to understand how unfermented honey tastes anything BUT unfermented. I've had the discussion here and gotmead forums, and nobody's been able to convince me.

Hey Al & Ryan:
Sorry to back out on you guys, but I've got a bit of a personal matter that's causing me to take a hiatus from brewing for a bit. Consequently I won't be attending the next brew day. :(
You guys still have time to pair up with others there. Hopefully I can get these matters sorted out before the summer brew day.

It's $$ issues, but I'm gonna try to get back to it ASAP

Well, glad it's not something health related. I'm going through some money issues as well, but I'm trying to conserve in other ways. I don't brew much outside of brewday, so the one batch that day doesn't really hit me too hard.

You should still come and drink though. No sense in denying yourself the pleasure of hanging out with friends and sharing in the beverages.

Hey Wes, its cool. I may just stick to the one with Al anyway. Been dealing with my own stuff too, and a single batch relaxing day might be what the Dr ordered.

Back