maybe too much Starsan in my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly_goat

Hop Head
Reaction score
Doing my first run through my keg washer and apparently it turns the inside into a solid brick of starsan foam.

Me being a half sleepy dope racked directly into it before tipping it. The second one i racked had about a 1 litre of properly diluted starsan in it. I figure thats what i racked onto. I assume its not enough to worry about but i was trying a new recipe (New England Session IPA) and it wasn't very good anyways. Wondering if i should bother giving it a couple weeks cold and carbonation or dump it.

When I keg the beer pushes most of foam out of the keg and on to my floor, I got wise and use a plastic tote now. Were you not filling the keg from the bottom?

I wouldn't dump it just because of some star san foam. I always leave it in my carboys and kegs and haven't had any issues.

I always do that was well, it was actually a liter of liquid starsan and the foam.

We've all done that or something similar. Its not good, and will likely have a negative impact. One option would be to go ahead and chill and carb it and see what its like. If nothing else, it would be an interesting experiment.

Foam wont be a problem but 1 liter of liquid, yeah; likely to add an off flavor. I push Starsan through my kegs with CO2 just before filling them with beer. I've noticed that there's almost always a little StarSan left behind that the dip tube cant pick up. So, I quickly invert my kegs to drain that out before filling them. Some will say I'm also "pouring out" the CO2 and while I'm sure some of it does leave, I'm also pretty sure a lot stays in to help minimize any O2 exposure. I suppose if I did a closed transfer that I'd have to accept that small amount of StarSan that's left behind..

That small amount probably wouldn't really affect my beer that much but I've had the dreaded StarSan suck-back before and have pledged to not have it be a "special ingredient" again! (It was gross...) You should try it yourself though as YMMV! It wont hurt you to drink it, or so they say... lol

Foam wont be a problem but 1 liter of liquid, yeah; likely to add an off flavor. I push Starsan through my kegs with CO2 just before filling them with beer. I've noticed that there's almost always a little StarSan left behind that the dip tube cant pick up. So, I quickly invert my kegs to drain that out before filling them. Some will say I'm also "pouring out" the CO2 and while I'm sure some of it does leave, I'm also pretty sure a lot stays in to help minimize any O2 exposure. I suppose if I did a closed transfer that I'd have to accept that small amount of StarSan that's left behind..

That small amount probably wouldn't really affect my beer that much but I've had the dreaded StarSan suck-back before and have pledged to not have it be a "special ingredient" again! (It was gross...) You should try it yourself though as YMMV! It wont hurt you to drink it, or so they say... lol
I have sucked on stars an during siphons more times than I can count and the taste isn't so bad. At a 1:18 ratio of stars an to IPA I'd totally ride this one out and see how it tastes. Might be a touch sour, but I'd be surprised if it's undrinkable.
Pour a 180ml glass of beer and stir in 10ml of starsan. I'd be surprised if it makes a lot of difference.

Back