Maybe I'm just an idiot, Universal Poppet Installation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
So I had some poppets that were being a bit of pain in the arse (one of three legs not seating on the same ring as the others, so occasionally it would get stuck. Not a huge deal on the gas post, but got myself drenched in chocolate stout when it happen from the liquid post)

I grabbed some universal poppets to try and replace them. I googled to try and figure out the exact instructions to install them, but everyone just said "oh, it's easy!" without actually providing instructions or a video.

I set the poppet inside, compressed the spring as far as it'd go, and it catches on one of the inside rings, and seems OK.

I then attach a QD, and after 2 or 3 attach/detach cycles, the poppet just falls out the bottom of the post, having lost whatever was holding it in in the first place.

So I ask... am I an idiot? Am I installing them wrong? Am I the proud owner of one of the like 10% of kegs that don't work with the universal poppets?

What style keg are you working with?

The universal poppets I have installed just drop into the post and the base (wide end) of the spring ends up resting on top of the dip tube flange. Once the post is tightened there's plenty of resistance...

Cheers!

The ones I bought have a spring that is cone shaped. The poppet sits on the smaller end. It shouldn't sit on an inside coil. If that makes sense.

beer-spring-B1.jpg

Ohhhhhh. So they're Loose before you tighten the post down to the keg?

If that's the case then yes, I am an idiot...

I thought they sqwunched (technical term) themselves against the inside of the post itself like the other poppets... I guess I'll have to brew more beer to test it out!!

Back