maybe a stupid question but how do I get my taps tight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesampm

Reaction score
Im getting really frustrated trying to tighten my shanks and taps so the tap doesnt rotate. I was shipped a tool fro mkeg connection but the thing doesnt even fit anything.

kegconnectiondeluxeWRENCH.jpg

Im obviously missing something...

I assume you're talking about the whole shank spinning? Not just the faucet spinning around the shank or something? If you're talking about the faucet, itself, you're just going to need a simple faucet wrench like the one linked above. If your faucet is tight on the shank, and the whole thing is spinning inside of the 1" hole drilled through the wall of your kegerator, well, that's just a fact of life, AFAIK. Your best hope is to tighten it just tight enough that it doesn't spin *easily*.

I tightened mine as much as I could and it still spins slightly but not easily.

If you REALLY wanted to stop this, I suppose you could buy an extra lock nut to place on the outside, like this one:
shanklocknut.jpg

But it would probably have to be reverse threaded to achieve this.

thanks guys...

yeah that "faucet wrench" in the middle is useless. It doesnt work at all and I need a real one. It is the whole shank that is spinning, so I guess I have to live with it. I might try to put a sheet of wood on the inside of the fridge to get a tighter fit or maybe grab another lock nut like drocu suggested

I used a thin sheet of rubber and made large rubber washers to go under the jam nut on the shank. I also put extra wood backing on the insulation for the fridge door so I can tighten the nut up quite a bit. This washer helps keep traction between the jam nut and and wood backing but thirsty drunks can still manage to spin the taps upside down pretty easily.

yeah the trouble is the inside and outside of most fridges are slick surfaces. if this is the case you are going to have a hard time getting a really tight fit. i would suggest using a thin piece of rubber that you can cut a hole in and push the shank through then thread your locknut on the inside of the fridge and tighten it down. that should keep it fairly tight. i have mine straight on the slick surface and tightened down just enough to where it doesn crack the inside surface of my fridge. it takes a decent amount of force to spin my shanks and the hole i drilled is a 1" hole which is too big and they dont even move up and down in the hole unless i am forceful with it.

Back