May have brewed too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory0525

Reaction score
So, I'm really new to this. I'm 6 days into primary fermentation on my first batch. Rye Pale Ale.

I was happy that it was bubbling away in my guest closet until I read some scary stuff on here about fermenting temps. We generally don't use our AC since it doesn't really get too hot here. That being said its probably about 80 deg. most of the day and mid 70's at night. Is this going to make my beer have a bad taste? is it too late to make a "swamp cooler"? should I just breathe and relax?

:mug: Thanks for any help

1) Breathe and relax. It's only beer. :) Worst case, you'll have to try again. Annoying, for sure, but the one thing I keep repeating in my head as I approach my first batch is: As long as I don't end up in the hospital burnt by scalding water or sliced by a broken carboy, and the house doesn't burn down, anything else is a minor setback. This is supposed to be a fun hobby, after all. :) (Unless you're trying to make a living at this)

2) I'm new. But based on the responses I had in my thread (which I started last night and which is still running), I'd say, yes, your beer will likely have some funky tastes in it. The first week is the most critical, and if you've been letting it hit 80, my reading says there's no chance it will be perfect, now. (but it may still be drinkable, if kinda off, so don't despair! also see #1 above)

Here's my thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=547927

3) What to do? In your shoes, I'd let it run, and try to learn from it. See how it tastes. If it's horrible, dump it and try again, this time doing something about the temps. If it's odd but not worth pouring out, well, now you have an object lesson in how that particular variable can affect your brew.

And if you have the equipment to try again (probably just need another fermenting container and airlock?) give it another go right away, so you can get a clean batch ready to drink as soon as possible. That way you don't have to worry so much for another week or two, and you can concentrate on the how great the corrected batch will be. :mug:

I'd throw a wet towel over it to drop the temperature and maybe toss some hops in secondary. Chances are the beer will be fine, just a little more "hot or stronger" tasting due to fusel alcohols produced at higher temperatures. I recently made a vanilla blonde stout that fermented at around 78-80F.

After two weeks of primary and secondary, I tasted before bottling. Ugh, I could immediately smell and taste off-flavors! I was ready to pitch the batch, but said hell with it and bottled it all. Two weeks later I can still taste some off-flavors, but they're much less noticeable now. I figure I'll give it another week or two longer to condition before serving.

Last edited:
It's too late. The good news is, it's your first brew, so you're learning this early. The single most important thing I've learned about brewing is how critically important fermentation temperatures are, especially during those first 3-5 days.

What you've brewed will be beer. It'll even get you drunk. But it will likely not taste good. I'm sorry. But now you know what can happen if you ferment too warm. The absolute most important thing you can do to improve your beer is to keep that fermentation temperature in the low-to-mid 60's (Fahrenheit) during those first 3-5 days. You'll see a dramatic improvement in your beers and you will be incredibly encouraged. Stick with it, it's absolutely worth it.

At 6 days in, you are beyond the time frame where temperature is most critical. A swamp cooler may help a little but I fear most "damage" is done. Depending on the style it may not be too awful but I would be prepared for unexpected smells and tastes.

That does NOT mean you can't drink still drink it!

Hey, it might just be fine. My first few brews the Temps swung so much I thought for sure it would taste like snot. But it was good. Learn and remember from it!

Thanks for the responses everyone, Im definitely gonna let it ride and treat it like its still gold! but a swamp cooler is in myb future for sure.

We have all done the exact same thing and we've all learned the old temperature control lesson that way.

The brewing learning curve sometimes makes me think of that Niels Bohr quote about how "an expert is someone who has made every mistake that can possibly be made in a very narrow field."

Back