Maximum Volumes of CO2 in 12oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjp36

Reaction score
I have 2 beers going right now (a belgian and a saison), that i would like to carb to at least 3 volumes of C02. Is this possible in the standard 12oz longnecks? Or will i need to find some champagne bottles?

Anyone know the the max. volumes of CO2 a regular bottle can handle before they turn into grenades?

Most of the bottles i have seem to be pretty decent pry off's. The majority of them are from Victory, Troegs, or Yards bottles. And i haven't had any problems with them yet.

By 4% i'm assuming you mean 4 volumes? How much corn sugar was that by weight. I'm just curious.

I usually try to collect heavier walled bottles for anything around 3 volumes and above. The 16oz German bottles and heavy Belgian bottles work great. Talk to some local bottle shops, usually they take returns and you can try offering to buy the returns off them for .10 or so. I've started collecting lots of Belgian bottles for this cause in fear of bottle bombs.

for 4 volume, I cooked up about 8-9 oz of corn sugar for 5 gallons batch...
so far, my bottles hold up well..
Another thing is that I drink these hefe pretty quick....maybe not long enough to build high pressure yet.

4 volumes is pushing it for regular ol' longnecks - and that's what you've got. You can get away with it, but...it's a concern.

Were I you, I'd consider buying enough Ommegang in the cork-n-cage bottles, drink it, and reuse the bottles. You can get fresh corks and wire from Keystone Homebrew in Montgomeryville.

If SWMBO balks at the expense, you're on your own. :D

Bob

I have 2 beers going right now (a belgian and a saison), that i would like to carb to at least 3 volumes of C02. Is this possible in the standard 12oz longnecks? Or will i need to find some champagne bottles?

Anyone know the the max. volumes of CO2 a regular bottle can handle before they turn into grenades?

What you're talkin' about is 45PSI gauge. So pump it up 'n C. I can do it. But 1 bottle passing a test here in my neck of the woods does not imply you can safely pump up 100 bottles in your longneck of the woods, where ever that may be. The probability of the bottles you get being manufactured by the same glass blower as those I get is remote, right? Therefore, there may be differences that affect the overall performance of those I test and those you get. I suggest a factor of safety no less than 4. That'd be 180PSI - 12 volumes. If your test bottles all crack only when pressurized to 12, then 3 is a reasonably safe bet.

Best, Mike

Back