Maximum attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onthebrew

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this?

My latest brew traveled from 1061 to 1002 in 18 days, 2x wyeast 1056.

10% sugar in malt bill and extra pale malt but 97% seems too much.

no danger signals yet but is 1056 capable of this much apparent attenuation or must it have had some help from a wild yeast infection?

if so then i will dump and not bottle.

is it possible wyeast 1056 can achieve an AA of 97%?

Why would you dump it? You are taking gravity readings, why are you not tasting it afterwards? The taste is a dead giveaway of an infection. I think you are over-worrying in my opinion.

I think this is one of those scenarios where apparent attenuation gives a seemingly high result, but in real extract terms it's only a few % higher than usual. You can blame your sugar for that. You may have had a long/low mash too.

As i undertsand it wild yeast infections are slow burners, they tend to dry out beers and become very astringent over a period of months so id rather dump now than pour 40 bottles down the sink in a couple of months?

that said you are right, i may be overworrying - So is 97% apparent attenuation ok? if so i can stop worrying!

I think this is one of those scenarios where apparent attenuation gives a seemingly high result, but in real extract terms it's only a few % higher than usual. You can blame your sugar for that. You may have had a long/low mash too.

mashed at 65C ( 149f) 60 mins. seems like some hope there then.

Taste it. Even if it's infected you won't get sick from it. If it tastes bad (my guess it's going to taste a bit like Jet-A) then maybe you want a do-over. But for it to be infected at this point is unlikely.

You took a very high attenuating yeast, made a fermentable wort, AND added sugar. All the ingredients are there for making a really dry beer.

I would taste it. My money says that it is just fine. One thing I have learned over the years is to worry less about the minutia of brewing and just enjoy it. Grain wants to be beer.

If anything it'll be a good learning experience.

I've only ever dumped 1 beer, and i hate to say it, but it was a similar situation. OG from the grain came in high, used way too much sugar, mashed too low, and used an aggressive yeast. What i made was not enjoyable to drink. Had it been a different style it might have been ok, but i didn't want to drink it, so i didn't!

What is the beer you are making. I like my Pales, IPAs, and Belgians dry, ending 006 to 008 for pales and IPAs, and even lower for Belgians.

Mash low and add sugar and that is what you will get.

Probably a decent beer.

Back