Mason Jar Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine they would explode - mason jars probably aren't designed to contain much pressure.

Serve them in mason jars by all means - seems to be quite a popular thing in bars round here at the minute.

While I agree that

I would like to point out that I ran short of bottles a couple weeks back and, not wanting to waste the beer, ended up bottling the last bits in three pint-sized mason jars. I was afraid of them exploding, so I wrapped them up in a couple towels first (so if they do explode I won't have shards of glass all over my basement), but so far no explosions.

That being said, I don't think I'd want to solely bottle in mason jars. There's just something more satisfying about popping the top off a bottle.

I'm moving to plastic bottles, 1 and 2 liter. Years ago, dark ages and before PET plastic, I lalong with friends, used plastic soda bottles. Worked great and I had some of that brew over 2 years after brewing. With the new bottle, it will even be better. Just have to keep the bottle in a dark place.

SWMBO blew up a mason jar on a bread yeast starter explosion. Glass shards are still being found months later in the carpet, even after professional cleaning. I advise against pressurizing mason jars.

Back