MashLab Brewing Software | Free for HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at other threads, I've seen the BeerXML format come up a lot. Is that vital to anyone here, as far as NEEDING that format option?

One man's opinion, but the ability to import/export as BeerXML is vital to easily importing existing recipes.
I appreciate the feedback. I think it's an easy implementation, but I just wanted to gauge the need for it since it requires changes to class files. I'm already using XML to import grains/hops/yeasts, so I don't think it would be too hard to add in recipes as XML, and rework the grain/hop/yeast format to conform with BeerXML.

Matt

I like it! I've already converted the layout to match what you posted, and I'm just working funcationality now. Thanks!
Glad you like it! You have made good progress and I'm really looking for updates. It's nice that you take opinions from others.

Glad you like it! You have made good progress and I'm really looking for updates. It's nice that you take opinions from others.
It's definitely moving along quickly. I'm always looking for opinions. This is meant to be a "by the people, for the people" sort of project.

Um, ok, but in the history of mankind, that has never worked...

Cheers! ("The People" don't know what they want ;))
I see your point. I'm open to recommendations from "the people", but at some point I'll have to snap a chalk line and move on.

One man's opinion, but the ability to import/export as BeerXML is vital to easily importing existing recipes.
So, I've made recipes/grains/hops/yeasts BeerXML compatible. Now, I'm having to reformat all the data files to conform to the new standard. I think it's well worth the effort if if helps with recipe/ingredient sharing.

I figured I would check-in and see how the production is going. I was wondering if you considered integrating Brewerwall as the main repository for all the grains, hops, yeasts, etc. Thanks for your hard work!

I hadn't considered it so far, but there's no reason to not look into it. Production has predictably slowed due to the holidays. But I am picking it back up and have made massive improvements on the general infrastructure of the program.

Dude, I would never charge for this. HBT has been such a resource for me that this is my way to give back. Not saying I wouldn't mind making money from it, but I won't be charging for use.

I figured I would check-in and see how the production is going. I was wondering if you considered integrating Brewerwall as the main repository for all the grains, hops, yeasts, etc. Thanks for your hard work!
I looked at this and it looks really cool, thanks for the info, but sadly when I try to use the API, I get a redirect, is it working:

curl -v http://brewerwall.com/api/v1/yeasts

* Trying 162.255.119.225...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to brewerwall.com (162.255.119.225) port 80 (#0)
> GET /api/v1/ HTTP/1.1
> Host: brewerwall.com
> User-Agent: curl/7.58.0
> Accept: */*
>
< HTTP/1.1 302 Found
< Server: nginx
< Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 18:13:33 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
< Content-Length: 48
< Connection: keep-alive
< Location: http://www.brewerwall.com
< X-Served-By: Namecheap URL Forward
<
<a href='http://www.brewerwall.com'>Found</a>.

* Connection #0 to host brewerwall.com left intact

but when I try to use the -L option to follow the 302 I get the html page, not the api:

curl -v -L http://brewerwall.com/api/v1/yeasts

* Trying 162.255.119.225...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to brewerwall.com (162.255.119.225) port 80 (#0)
> GET /api/v1/ HTTP/1.1
> Host: brewerwall.com
>
< HTTP/1.1 302 Found
< Server: nginx
< Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 18:16:02 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
< Content-Length: 48
< Connection: keep-alive
< Location: http://www.brewerwall.com
< X-Served-By: Namecheap URL Forward
<
* Ignoring the response-body
* Connection #0 to host brewerwall.com left intact
* Issue another request to this URL: 'http://www.brewerwall.com'
* Rebuilt URL to: http://www.brewerwall.com/
* Trying 35.169.120.211...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to www.brewerwall.com (35.169.120.211) port 80 (#1)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: www.brewerwall.com
>
< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
and then the html page of the main website.

Doesn't seem to work for me?

after tinkering I found that the thing just mandates the www.brewerwall.com (but oddly following the 302 didn't work?):

curl http://www.brewerwall.com/api/v1/yeasts/33
[{"id":"33","laboratory":"White Labs","strain":"WLP099","name":"Super High Gravity Ale Yeast","description":"Can ferment up to 25% alcohol. From England. Produces ester character that increases with increasing gravity. Malt character dominates at lower gravities.","attenuation_min":"80","attenuation_max":"100","flocculation":"Medium","temperature_min":"65","temperature_max":"69","tolerance":"25","form":"Liquid"}]

Gets me the goods! :)

Hi.

As I am living in Norway one critical feature for me would be support for metric values including temperature. Any plans for this ?

regs,
peram

Absolutely! The Beta version will just be imperial units for proof of concept. The 1.0.0 version will include support for both because 1) widespread use of the software requires it, and 2) the BeerXML standard is metric.

I also wanted to tell everyone thanks for being patient! This is a pretty monumental task and it's in addition to a pretty demanding day job. @pompeiisneaks has been extremely good with helping out and responding back to folks. The project has migrated from a simple app to a full-blown production. I promise I am working hard to get the beta version out. Hang in there!

- Matt

And I thought my full time gig took up a lot of time.....keep up the great work.

Thanks! It's taking up a big chunk of time, but I'm slowly getting there.

MashLab Screenshot.png

Any status updates on this?

I already have the alpha version complete and I'm working a beta version. Predictably, being active duty military eats up a lot of my time, but it's coming along nicely and I'd like to have Version 1 rolled out extremely soon.

Thanks for checking in!

I already have the alpha version complete and I'm working a beta version. Predictably, being active duty military eats up a lot of my time, but it's coming along nicely and I'd like to have Version 1 rolled out extremely soon.

Thanks for checking in!
Titan88 - I'm looking for a new software. This sounds inspiring.

I want to control water my water usage very closely. I don't like using to much mash/sparge water and and rather mash longer for greater mash efficiency. Trading longer efficient mashes for shorter boils. Pretty much driving to the end target volume covering all loses. I strive for 6% loss in the boil.

I just bought new equipment. New MLT and HLT. Both vessels are good about minimal dead spaces. Most of the software I've seenb has adjustments for dead space losses however nothing for big false bottoms that change mash thickness. I have 1.25 gallon space between my kettle bottom and the false bottom making my mash really thick. But it's only artificially thick since I have a surplus of mash liquor below the the false bottom.

A large dead space with loses is different than large dead space with no losses.

The problem I have now is sparging, I have to go back and forth from no-sparge and batch/fly sparging based on my grist size.. Not sure if that's programmable thing. I want my vorloft to be below the surface of the mash liquor. I brew according to LOB.

I'd suggest that you have bounds checking on equipment capacity and the desired brewing process. Highlighting a recipe limit or a required process change is required to accommodate equipment. Base this on user rules for their equipment.

Looking forward to what you launch.

I'm interested too. I've been using BeerAlchemy for over 10 years, and it appears that it is no longer being developed or maintained.

One thing that I love about BeerAlchemy is that I can sync between my iMac and iPad. I use the iPad during brew day, and the iMac for recipe creation. On the iPad, I can create a new batch from a recipe, enter all the batch parameters, deduct the ingredients from inventory, take brew day notes, then store the batch as a daughter file of the original recipe. Once brew day is complete, I can sync that back to the iMac.

I wish it had a way to schedule the next steps, but I just used the calendar app. It would be a nice feature to have.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you develop.

I'm playing with Brewfather now. Seems better than Brewers Friend. I say that because it was very sluggish on mobile. However Brewfather works great on mobile or desktop. It seems to have equal or better calculators.

https://brewfather.app/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back