Mashing then Boiling the Next Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeL

Reaction score
I looked this up using the google search and found a few topics but none with any first hand experience. The only time I usually get to brew is at night on the stove top but my wife complains that the smell of boiling makes it hard for her to sleep. I know I should get an outdoor burner but since money is tight I thought of mashing at night and boiling the next morning. I was thinking of extending the mash out at 170 for longer than normal to hopefully kill off anything and then leave it covered on the stove overnight. Anyone see a problem with this? I will defiantly be trying this on Friday so hopefully I can nail down the process before then.

170°F will not kill the bacteria on grain, so if you leave the mash for long enough you will definitely sour the beer. The question is how long is too long? I've gone six hours from the beginning of a mash to the beginning of the boil with no souring that my palette could detect. You could probably go longer, particularly for beers with pronounced flavor characteristics that would mask slight acidity (e.g. IPAs, Imperial Stouts, etc.)

That said, my average cost for a 5 gallon batch is $50. This 30 Gallon Turkey Burner setup only costs $44. Why not skip your next brew day and spend the money on the turkey-frier instead? That way you can move out of the kitchen and brew to your heart's content.

I assume the OP means mashing and recovering the liquor at night and then boiling with hops the next morning. I would bring this liquor without hops to boiling point for 5 minutes the night before.

Pericles - I'm not even doing 5 gallon batches because I don't have room for 5 gallons worth of bottles or kegging equipment. Right now I'm doing 1 gallon batches.

BOBTHEukBREWER - Thanks for the advise. Since i'm doing such a small batch, boiling for 5 minutes won't take too much extra time.

I'll let everyone know how this experiment goes and whether or not I plan on trying it again in the future.

With only one gallon of wort you could go the other way too and just freeze it. That should inhibit bacterial growth pretty well.

it will be fine if you bring it up to boiling or near boiling to kill the bad guys. I have done it a few times w/o problems.

pericles said:
That said, my average cost for a 5 gallon batch is $50.

/off topic

WTF?! Sorry but that seems crazy if you're only counting ingredients. I think mine is maybe $15-20 depending on the rareness of the hops and size of grain bill. Bulk is your friend! :)

/nowbacktoyourthreadsorry

There's no problem with waiting overnight. I've done it a several times, with no ill effects. Boiling the next day kills everything, and not much will grow in the 12 hours between draining wort and boiling it. Put it in the fridge if you're concerned.

Just curious if OP has done this and continued to do it.

I'm in a situation where I only have about 2-3 hours to brew AG. That's basically enough time for me to heat mash water, dough in, and sparge. I was thinking that I could mash one night and then boil the next. I am doing 5 gallon batches so I was wondering if letting it sit at room temp for 24 hours would be harmful.

Latest posts

Back