mashing out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midas

Reaction score
i have done several all grain batches in my converted cooler,and can never hit my mashout temperature.any suggestions on how i can achieve this

It's not critical to hit a mashout temp doing a batch sparge. You will need to heat the sparge water to at least 185 for the 2nd running to get the temperature up to mashout range.

thanks. just started batch sparging,sure is easier and quicker than fly sparging!

The problem with the mash out calculator is that it doesn't take into consideration the amount of heat absorbed by the cooler. If, prior to the mash out, the cooler is about 3/4 full or greater, you can ignore this, but if it is only about 3/8 full (such as when doing a low - medium gravity batch in a 10 gallon or greater cooler), then this can make a substantial difference. When I tried a mash out in my 10 gallon cooler using an amount of boiling water that would bring the temperature up to 166 - 168 in the 5 gallon cooler, I found that the temperature didn't even reach 160. I only had about 10 lbs grain in the mash.

-a.

thats the calculator i had used,and still came up 5 or degrees short

The problem with the mash out calculator is that it doesn't take into consideration the amount of heat absorbed by the cooler. If, prior to the mash out, the cooler is about 3/4 full or greater, you can ignore this, but if it is only about 3/8 full (such as when doing a low - medium gravity batch in a 10 gallon or greater cooler), then this can make a substantial difference. When I tried a mash out in my 10 gallon cooler using an amount of boiling water that would bring the temperature up to 166 - 168 in the 5 gallon cooler, I found that the temperature didn't even reach 160. I only had about 10 lbs grain in the mash.

-a.

Well, I did say it may help.:)

In all seriousness I don't use it for my brews and add the 2nd sparge water at about 185 to 190 and call it good. If it is 5 degrees short I am not that concerned.

It's not critical to hit a mashout temp doing a batch sparge. You will need to heat the sparge water to at least 185 for the 2nd running to get the temperature up to mashout range.

+1. This is what I do, a combined mash-out/2nd sparge step. Accomplishes both things. I usually have to get my 2nd sparge water to 195° and when it hits the grain bed, it comes out to 168-170°. :rockin:

Well, I did say it may help.:)

In all seriousness I don't use it for my brews and add the 2nd sparge water at about 185 to 190 and call it good. If it is 5 degrees short I am not that concerned.
You also said that it is not critical with a batch sparge. I agree 100%:)
I should have said that I only do a mash out when fly sparging and it improves my efficiency by about 10% When I tried doing a mash out with a batch sparge, my efficiency actually dropped a few %.

-a.

Doesn't seem critical in either type of sparging really, but it does have a few benefits besides efficiency: improved lautering and deactivation of enzymes. I've gotten in the habit of just doing it 'cause it really only requires me to heat the 2nd sparge water a little higher. :)

Back