mashing one day, boiling the next.. HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netza

Reaction score
mexicali, an hour and a half from san diego
As I was brewing a 10 gallon batch of ESB last night, right when I was ready to boil I ran into some equipment difficulties and, long story short, was unable to reach boiling temperatures due to very low flames. I stored the pot with the wort and I am hoping to fix my gasline so I can boil it today. Is their something I should be on the lookout for? Any possible off flavors? Or should I just throw it out. THANKS!

It would be a shame to throw all that wort out and an hour long boil should kill any bugs that got in there, I think. I've heard of people doing overnight mashes so? I'm not much help.

Never through out beer! :)

Since there are people who do a 1 step mash overnight I guess doing overnight boil wouldn't hurt.
Put the lid on the pot, fix the burner and then boil the wort.

For yeast starters we allways put 1 liter (cooled down) wort in a bottle and put it in the freezer. When we need it, we boil it again for 10 minutes. Allmost the same as overnight boiling :)

thanks a lot! I´ll be doing what both of you suggest. I guess when it comes to dms and spoilers a 90 minute boil should do the trick. I just didn´t know if there were other factors to take into consideration when it came to leaving a wort over a day old just sitting there.

I do this almost every time I brew. I double batch sparge VERY slowly and I typically do at least a 90 minute boil. These two things combined make it tough to fit everything into one day. I've waited a week after mashing before the boil and have never had any off flavors or problems. I just sanitize a couple of carboys or a keg and pour the wort in until it's time to boil.

I have done this before as well. I just heat the wort up to 170 and put the lid on. The next morning I start the boil. I've not noticed any ill effects from this.

ok thanks, because even today I couldn´t fix it and will probably have to wait an extra night (till tomorrow) to do so, I know spoilers will not be problem after I boil, I was more concerned with flavor changes in the wort... if you guys haven´t had any problems I´m guessing I probably won´t either but anyway I´ll just have to wait and see

Back