Mashing in unmodded cooler then transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
I'm thinking of modding a cooler I have for mashing since I'm not 100% satisfied with my keggle's heat retention.

As an experiment I'm thinking of doing a mash in the cooler then transferring (dumping essentially) the mash into the cooler which already has the weldless bulkhead/braid.

Would this be bad?

I am sorry, but that sounds like an awful mess. Plus you probably would have a big problem draining - stuck sparge. In my opinion make the cooler. You can always put the plastic drain back on, or plug it with silicon/cork.

I'm thinking of modding a cooler I have for mashing since I'm not 100% satisfied with my keggle's heat retention.

As an experiment I'm thinking of doing a mash in the cooler then transferring (dumping essentially) the mash into the cooler which already has the weldless bulkhead/braid.

Would this be bad?

how about putting the grain in a grain bag or bags in the cooler? lift the bags, and either siphon or pour the wort into the keggle... set the bags back in and sparge and repeat?

^^ If I HAD to do it without modifying the cooler, that's how I would do it. But at that point, why not use the stove top and eliminate the cooler? BIAB method works great for a lot of people. Fairly easy to control temps and no need to siphon anything.

Latest posts

Back