Mashing/Brewing on Seperate Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigben

Reaction score
I was staring at the computer screen when I wondered if anyone has done this and if there are any problems with it.

I know it isnt really that practical, but lets just say you are doing a 5 gallon batch and have an extra 10 gallon cooler or a 7.9 gallon bucket with lid to fill overnight or longer until you can brew it.

I would not recommend this technique simply because you can get an acetic or lactic infection, and I know because I speak from experience, regrettably.
However I think some brewers may have done this, so don't be discouraged.

If you boil it for 15 minutes first to stop all enzyme activity and to pasturize it, it could probably stay good for a couple days in a sterilized container. Never done it myself, but that is generally how the enzymes/microorganisms work.

Donasay said:
If you boil it for 15 minutes first to stop all enzyme activity and to pasturize it, it could probably stay good for a couple days in a sterilized container. Never done it myself, but that is generally how the enzymes/microorganisms work.

If you go through all the work to mash and sparge, then what's an extra hour and a half to boil, chill and pitch? I find that it typically takes me about 3-4 hours from grind to keggle. Might as well finish the job.

But if you can, then boil for 15, cool, and put in a tightly sealed, sterilized bucket. and store in a cold place.

I've heard of people starting their mash and letting it sit overnight (Kaiser's been running some experiments to determine the impact that a long mash has on attenuation). You *shouldn't* run into issues with the mash going sour as long as the mash temp stays above 140°; you certainly aren't going to do that for more than overnight, even with a good cooler and extra insulation.

But, if you're talking about sparging, then bringing the wort to a boil, I'm with Cheese; you've done 75% of the work already, just finish the job.

I've mashed in before I go to work, then run off when i get home about 9 hours later.
The drawback is it produces a very fermentable wort, which i learned the hardway with a porter, mashed in at 155, when i got home it was 142 (i was lazy and really didnt preheat the tun) but the yeast took a 1.065 beer to 1.007.

So for me at least, I only do this method with beers that I want a Low FG (saisons, triples) To second the the_birds point, and from my experience, if you keep your mash above 140 you won't have an issue with wild yeast souring it.

I did it this just this week. I mashed, sparged into my kettle monday night. I brought it up to about 190 on ths stove to make sure conversion was complete then left it.

I then boiled Tuesday morning.

I will let you know how it turns out. Though there were many more variables that could have ill effects on the results! :drunk:

So far it's chuggin' along nicely and the hydro sample tasted pretty damn good. If it does work out, I like this schedule for brewing. Especially with a toddler involved!

I have mashed, run of, sparged, gone to bed, woke up and started my boil. I lit my kettle while I was spargeing and everything got boiled a bit before it got left. Wort was still in the 160's when I woke up. Made good beer, so I didn't complain and would do it again if I needed to squeeze in a brew day and only have a couple hours in the morning.

+9374764565 on "I like this schedule with a toddler involved"

artfldodger said:
The drawback is it produces a very fermentable wort, which i learned the hardway with a porter, mashed in at 155, when i got home it was 142 (i was lazy and really didnt preheat the tun) but the yeast took a 1.065 beer to 1.007.

What was your initial mash temp?

I believe if you choose a higher mash temp you can offset the longer mash time's effect on the fermentability.

Kai

thanks for all the feedback. I would only do this if I really needed to because of time. But I was thinking maybe if I was bored, I could start a mash on the stove then boil the next day outside.

I didn't know that you'd have to bring it to a boil before leaving it. If you have to bring it to a boil I guess you might as well go through with the whole thing.

I've mashed one day, recirculate, runoff etc. into a sanitised fermenter. The next day I've transferred to the boiler and continued. I've done this several times with no ill effects that I noticed.

bigears said:
I've mashed one day, recirculate, runoff etc. into a sanitised fermenter. The next day I've transferred to the boiler and continued. I've done this several times with no ill effects that I noticed.
That's what I like to hear :)

I mean, if you don't have to boil it after sparging, it could really make brew day fast if I mash/sparge the night before in the kitchen, then boil outside the next day.

I'm sure there are reasons why this might not work theoretically but in practice it hasn't posed me a problem. This technique has been a saviour for me as sometimes I just don't have the luxury of setting aside 5 or 6 hours in one go.

Back