Mashed in need hop substitute!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan33

Reaction score
So I am mashed in doing an abner clone after just tasting it recently.....****....no Chinook hops....whirlpool and dryhop additions.....what can I substitute to get close......

Ya lots but was going for a clone. Chinook I can have for dryhop but need recommendations for the chinook that whirlpool for 30 min

I have northern brewer summit all the no hops citra amirillo columbus ect.....just trying to get close to chinook on whirlpool addition to get close to abner.

Lots of hops man. Just thought I had some chinook left and want to get as close as possible

Here is recipe.
15# 2 row
.75 caramel 20
.5 corn sugar
Zeus liquid hops for bittering
.75 columbus 30 min
2 oz simcoe whirlpool 30
2 oz centennial whirlpool 30
1 oz chinook. Whirlpool 30
3 oz Simcoe do
2 oz chinook do

The 1 oz chinook whirlpool needs replacement

I vote Amarillo
Not a Chinook sub but I have used it in many styles and can see it working in an amber for a late addition, fwiw!

Abner clone from hf. But amirillo may be what I throw in

Columbus, Northern Brewer of the ones you listed. Nugget works too...I'd use that if I had all 3 of these.

Don't forget to recalculate your IBUs......

Edit: I do like Amarillo, but I don't know if I'd use it with those other hops tbh. Personal preference thing, but Amarillo and Columbus don't play all that well IMHO.

cool I have Columbus and northern brewer. I can throw them in and get Chinook for dry hops

Back