Mash water and sparse water volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew Gator

Reaction score
Hello everyone,I’m brewing Denny Cons bourbon vanilla porter all grain at 5.5 gallon batch, and my grains total 19.53 pounds. My question is, I need 7.32 gallons strike water and it will take up 8.88 gallons of space per can I mash it, that leave me with 4.98 gallons first runnings but only 2.25 batch sparse water. I always thought I was supposed to have equal runnings. How do I manage this problem?

General rule of thumb, which I got from Denny Conn's posts about batch sparging is this: Measure your 1st runnings, and sparge with the volume that will give you the total volume you want.

General rule of thumb, which I got from Denny Conn's posts about batch sparging is this: Measure your 1st runnings, and sparge with the volume that will give you the total volume you want.
Which I figure around 2.25 gallons to get me to 7.25 pre boil!

I'm not familiar with the recipe per Denny. However you could mash thicker. 1.25qt H2O per lb gives you 24.4 qts divided by 4 gets you 6.10 gallons strike water. Or you could even mash at 1.1 qt per lb or grain

I always thought I was supposed to have equal runnings.

Equal runnings will result in the highest lauter efficiency. But with big beers, it's just not possible to do equal runnings, unless you're willing to use more water than actually needed and lengthen the boil.

No, not really except you have to expect lower efficiency (due to the lack of sparging), and you have to make a BIG yeast starter if using liquid yeast. They tend to ferment well, and aren't any more difficult to make.
Hey Yooper how do I add pictures on HBT from my phone?

I use the site version on my phone, so I do it the same way as on the site. Request the "desktop site" in your browser, and that would give you the same options.

If you mash at 1.25 gal/lb, your strike volume will be 6.09 gal, and your first runnings volume will be 3.75 gal. You then have 3.48 gal for sparge and second runnings. This is close enough to equal runnings that you won't have significant loss of lauter efficiency. Your lauter efficiency should be about 76%. Your originally proposed strike and sparge volumes have a max lauter efficiency of 75% - not much of a difference.

Brew on :mug:

If you mash at 1.25 gal/lb, your strike volume will be 6.09 gal, and your first runnings volume will be 3.75 gal. You then have 3.48 gal for sparge and second runnings. This is close enough to equal runnings that you won't have significant loss of lauter efficiency. Your lauter efficiency should be about 76%. Your originally proposed strike and sparge volumes have a max lauter efficiency of 75% - not much of a difference.

Brew on :mug:
[/QUOT
I use the site version on my phone, so I do it the same way as on the site. Request the "desktop site" in your browser, and that would give you the same options.
will do ,thanks Yooper ,anyone have a stellar porter all grain, leaning towards fullers London?

I have gotten anywhere from 55% to 75% at first runnings, so it is a good idea to measure the volume. as JimR suggests to fine tune your final boil volume.

10%ABV? Might as well get started learning how to deal with a stuck fermentation...Future post?

If you have some DME or LME laying around (2-3 #), go for a second sparge of 2.5G or so and make another completely different beer. This is where some spare packs of dry yeast come in handy.

Back