Mash tun washer size (shape)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leviticus

Reaction score
So, I picked up a Coleman xtreme 52qt cooler at the Coleman factory outlet north of Atlanta last weekend. When I combined the nipple, washer, and original gasket, it didn't quite fit right. Once I put just the washer up against the inside of the factory drilled hole, I could see why:
cooler.JPG

The hole is so close to the bottom on the inside, that the washer can't center on the hole. My internal fitting (A copper/cpvc single piece converter) is too small in diameter to serve as the washer, just pushing the original gasket into the factory drilled hole.

So this morning I marked the SS washer with the diameter of the gasket, and ground down to the line (cleaned up with a dremel as well):
washer.JPG

I didn't have to get very close to the line, just far enough to get the washer to fit below the nipple in the cooler:
groundwasher.JPG

I've also decided that the 1.5" nipple I originally purchased is just too short - there's not enough thread bite. I'm going to go get a longer one and I'll just stack washers to make it tight.

Hope someone somewhere finds this helpful!

I can't wait for my first AG batch...

I found the same thing with the 1.5" seeming to be too short. I got it to work but I don't feel very secure about it. I also plan on going back and buying a longer nipple and already have some extra washers.

Back