Mash Tun Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildOnions

Reaction score
Do any of you guys continue to use your mash tun as a regular cooler for drinks or whatever as well (obviously not at the same time you are mashing :D)? Just wondering if the heat of mashing negatively affected the insulation in any way, or perhaps caused it to breakdown faster.

The heat of the water made the cooler sides buckel. It still works as a cooler, but as soon as a keggel was avable I up graded.

Longterm, I think going from boiling to freezing ice probably accelerates up the overall life cycle of the plastic, so I'd think the worst that's going to happen is your cooler lasts a few less years, but I doubt it is going to hurt the quality of your brews in the short term.

#2 plastic can handle continuous temps of 230F and up to 248F for short periods of time. Unless you're boiling in your cooler it should be fine with mash temps. In fact, based on those temps, I would say no problem dumping some boiling water in your cooler to preheat.

Back