Mash Tun Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure that there's a standard, but that one is pretty common. I used to use one, and it worked and help temps great. IMO it's the perfect size and shape for 5 gal batches, and I'd probably still be using it if I hadn't switched to 10 gal batches.

That's the one that I've got. Works great. Also, not to heavy and easy to manage when dumping grains or moving it while full of mash.

I just finished brewing my first 5 gal all grain in a 50 qt Coleman xtreme and was very happy with it..held my temps very good and it's big enough to move up to 10 gal batches.

the 10 gallon round rubbermaid is common, and there are alot of pre-made parts that you can buy to fit it (e.g. stainless steel false bottom and fittings).

however, lots of coolers will work. i bought an odd shaped Coleman 10 gallon drink cooler that is not round. it didn't really matter for me because i used stainless steel braided coil as my mash filter. you can get the ss braided coil from a hardware store (remember to remove the inner rubber tube after you cut off the end couplings), or you can get them from a supplier like this one:

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/StainlessSteelSleeving.php

I just finished brewing my first 5 gal all grain in a 50 qt Coleman xtreme and was very happy with it..held my temps very good and it's big enough to move up to 10 gal batches.

miafunk2003:
That is the same cooler I have, used it for my first all grain on Sunday. It held the mash temp perfectly, I am very pleased with the Coleman Extreme!:)

Round coolers are great for fly sparging. A bit too deep for batch sparging though as you need to stir after each batch sparge. I use a rectangular el-cheapo with a bazooka screen and it works great. I've brewed about 60 batches with it without any mash problems.

i have a similar one. it's pretty much the same it just says home depot on it. works fantastic for holding temp. i went with the SS braid inside

Back