Mash Tun/Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfly19

Reaction score
I am looking to go from being a partial mash brewer to all grain and was just looking for some feed back in regards to my plan. I was planing on going with an 8 gallon brew pot with a 1/2" SS ball valve and temp gauge with a false bottom. I was also planning on using the same vessel as my brew pot. Will this be big enough for a 7 gallon full wort boil? Any other feed back woould be greatly appreciated. This is the set up I was looking at purchasing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EW3EAE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
SD-Slim; do you have this brew pot? If so, is it of good construction? Did you go with the SS ball valve, temp gauge and false bottom? The rack for the falso bottom looks a bit "clunky", the ones with handles look a little easier to use. Thanks!

8 is not big enough for a 7 gallon vigorous boil. You will boil over and splash some out. I would go at least 10 gallon pot. If you are considering doing biab, I would suggest a 15 gallon pot.

Bigger is better. This is one of the major investments you will make pursuing this hobby. Get the biggest pot you can afford and actually overspend a little if necessary. And don't fear the aluminum!

I'd go for a 10 gallon if you can swing it. You can always make your own mash tun out of a converted cooler. Go with a stainless steel braided water line and a ball valve - all set.

I use a 8 gallon SS pot for my mash tun and a 10 gallon SS pot for my boil kettle for 5 gal batches. You MIGHT be able to do a boil in the 8 gallon pot, but it's probably not big enough.

sfly19 said:
SD-Slim; do you have this brew pot? If so, is it of good construction? Did you go with the SS ball valve, temp gauge and false bottom? The rack for the falso bottom looks a bit "clunky", the ones with handles look a little easier to use. Thanks!

I don't have this one...my brother got it and for the money it's a great deal, he went all stainless and I have to say the false bottom is better than mine!

Back