mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj2387

Reaction score
so ive been doing BIAB batches lately. Heat to strike temp, add grains. stir and cover. check 10 minutes later just to see again.

my question is using the thermometer i have, i noticed that when i put the thermometer in the BIAB bag of grain. i get say 152 for example. but when i put it closer to the edge or even outside of the bag and in the wort im getting temps that read like 156.

For the most part ive been hitting my OG and FG. if anything it will be under by a few points. So am i just worrying about nothing or should i be adressing this more?

Stirring or recirculating will equalize the mash temp across the entire volume (or should), but you'll lose heat more quickly. The ideal is to recirculate and manage mash temps with controlled external heat, but that complicates a system that was designed to provide simplicity. If you are happy with your results now, it probably isn't worth messing with.

Stirring or recirculating will equalize the mash temp across the entire volume (or should), but you'll lose heat more quickly. The ideal is to recirculate and manage mash temps with controlled external heat, but that complicates a system that was designed to provide simplicity. If you are happy with your results now, it probably isn't worth messing with.

perfect thanks. i had a feeling i was slightly over thinking it haha. more importantly, i live in lakewood so we are ohio neighbors!

Hello, neighbor! You probably have lots of homebrew stores in the CLE area, but there's a new one in Brunswick that's not too far from you. I've been picking up grains there (it is about the same distance from here). I may be learning the joys of BIAB myself this winter; if it gets too cold I'll want to speed things up a bit.

Hello, neighbor! You probably have lots of homebrew stores in the CLE area, but there's a new one in Brunswick that's not too far from you. I've been picking up grains there (it is about the same distance from here). I may be learning the joys of BIAB myself this winter; if it gets too cold I'll want to speed things up a bit.

yes! i do have the cleveland brew shop about 10 minutes away. I have heard about that shop but havent been down there yet. im driving a lot for work so ill have to stop in

Back