Mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmmcdonn

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I would like some insite as to how you guys can maintain such specific mashing temps on a stove. I had a difficult enough time maintaining 170F just to steep my first batch, and I was watching it like a hawk.

any tips?

Chad

I don't have any problems with this at all. Use a decent kettle that's not too thin. Use enough grain so that the kettle is mostly full. Only open the lid a few times to stir.

When I mash for an hour, I rarely see any temp change, maybe a degree or two. I use a 5 gal kettle and mash 7-10 lbs of grain on a gas stove. The hardest part is getting an accurate reading of temp for when to turn off the flame - it's really easy to get hot-pockets, and moving the thermometer around can end up with 5-10 degrees difference sometimes.

What did you have that made you maintain 170? if you are just steeping you want to leave the grains in UNTIL 170 in most cases (as far as i know). I just did my first few partial mashes this month, and i found that i was able to maintain pretty well putting the whole kettle in the oven, and just checking it ever 10 min or so to make sure its not to hot/cold.... As far as mashing goes, i believe that 170 is when sugar converting enzymes are deactivated.

On a stove? It's largely about zeroing in on a burner strength that maintains about the right heat, making tiny adjustments as necessary...not turning the burner way up when you need to increase temp, or off when it needs to go down...

Even with that, though, you won't be able to maintain perfect temps on a stove. Shoot for +/- 5*F or so, and try to spend some of the time on both ends of the target temp. You'll get the same result if you oscillate evenly somewhat to both sides of the target temp as if you get it dead on the whole time - at least at mash temps.

For steeping grains, exact temp really isn't all that important, so long as you don't get much above 170*F. All-grain brewers typically have those grains you're steeping in with their mash, which is held at something like 155*F most of the time. So if you're just steeping grains and not mashing, don't worry about what I said before. Heck, just hold it at 150*F if the fancy takes you. Only difference is you need to steep a bit longer to get all the flavor out. Just make sure it hits about 170 near the end, to improve yield.

I am not necessarily worried about steeping, but I want to work forward towards all grain with each batch I make. I will be brewing big DIPA and RIS styles almost exclusively and don't want to end up with a big sweet mess because I mashed too high.

I might give the oven a try.

Thanks

Back