mash started a little high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
Making an IPA today, target temp was 148-150. I figured for a strike temp of 160. I thought I had it, but I think the water wasn't circulated cause when I stirred it it jumped to 165. I dumped my 15 lb grain bill anyway, and it came down to 158, way high. I stirred a lot, and added a tray of ice cubes and had it down to 150 in about 5 minutes. Will that be ok?

Looks like you are inadvertently making Lagunitas IPA. They mash most (if not all) their brews at 160˚F.

I had my first brew day disaster this past week. I forgot the whirlfloc tab and brewed with leaf hops in the kettle for the first time. They clogged my CFC after chilling about a gallon out of 6 gallons of wort. I had to put the kettle in a cold water bath in my sink for a half hour. It looks like it is fermenting normally. I'm hoping it isn't infected and the flavor hasn't suffered from the late addition hops sitting in hot wort for an extra half hour.

Interesting... Lagunitas is about 50 miles from me and is my favorite all around brewery. In fact Tim August their main marketing guy is in our homebrew club. I wonder why they mash so high. Ill have to ask. I wouldn't describe any of their beers as "dry".

Interesting... Lagunitas is about 50 miles from me and is my favorite all around brewery. In fact Tim August their main marketing guy is in our homebrew club. I wonder why they mash so high. Ill have to ask. I wouldn't describe any of their beers as "dry".

They mash that high probably for a couple of reasons:

#1 - it makes for a very dextrinous beer; meaning that starches in the mash are converted into longer chain molecules that can't be fermented by yeast yet contribute very little sweetness to the beer and give it a very full body and mouthfeel.

#2 - It takes less time to mash. The higher the temperature of the mash, the faster the enzymes convert starches to sugars, but in turn the faster they are denatured.

I wouldn't describe their beers as "dry" either, but I think a lot of what is perceived as "sweetness" in their beers is really more of a fruity character from fermentation and hops than under-attenuation because of mash temp.

Latest posts

Back