Mash schedule for an AG Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckelly999

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm doing an all-grain Hefeweizen in a few days; it's my first one and I'm looking for a suitable mash schedule. It's a 7-gallon batch, I'm using 8 lbs of wheat malt and 4 lbs of German Pilsner malt. I have a 7-gallon double cooler setup, but I could do a kettle mash if I needed to use direct heat instead infusions (would need to insulate the kettle for the rests).

Here's what I was planning on using:

Mash in at 122F for 30 min, 0.75 qt/lb of grain
Infuse to 140F beta amylase rest for 30 min
Infuse to 157F alpha amylase rest for 60 min
Mash out at 170F (infusion)

According to my brewing software, this would give me just under 7 gallons for the mash, so my cooler system would be able to handle it.

Any comments/advice? Thanks for all.

CK

For German and Belgian wheats, I like:

Acid rest @ 111° for 30 min
Protein rest @ 125° for 20 min
Sacch rest @ 150° for 90 min
Mash out @ 168° if I feel like it (I rarely do)

typically I mash in at 122, for about 20 mins, then infuse to 153 for 60 mins. just rig a blow off tube if using wyeast 3068. this yeast blew the lid off my 7.5 gallon fermentation bucket(5 gallon batch with 50% head space).

just rig a blow off tube if using wyeast 3068. this yeast blew the lid off my 7.5 gallon fermentation bucket(5 gallon batch with 50% head space).

Been there, done that- that yeast goes off like a bomb. I'm using the WL 300, but it's the same yeast. I've learned my lesson, the fermenter goes in the sink, wrapped with an old towel.

I've done acid rests, protein rests, beta rests, etc. I now just do all my hefe's with a 122 protein rest and a sacch rest, which varies a little. I've noticed a difference between doing and not doing protein rests, haven't really noticed a difference with the acid and beta rests.

Rev.

What time and temp do you use for your sacch rest?

60 minutes at 154 typically, though I've done them at 152 and 156. I also never use rice hulls since I've never had a stuck or slow runoff/sparge with the bazooka tube I use instead of a false bottom. My preferred yeast for my regular hefe's is Wyeast 3638, with 3068 my preference in Weizenbock's.

Rev.

Back