Mash PID Tuning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedBrews

Reaction score
Hey HBT, theory question for you:

Presumably the P/I/D values for my recirculating eBIAB will be different when I'm simply re-circulating water than they are when there is a mash present. My problem is, I would really rather not experiment and re-tune my PID while I have 12# of 2-row roasting away in my kettle. On that same vein, I expect they would be different in hot weather and cold weather, and again, I would rather not blow a batch just to get everything tuned.

The questions:

1. Is it even necessary to account for the mash thermal mass when tuning? It could be that a PID well tuned to keep water steady would be "even more tuned" for keeping the whole mash steady. Or at least it would be less likely to overshoot and oscillate when filled with grain.

2. If better tuning is possible, how do people accomplish this? Do you make small movements each batch and record, can I toss something grain-like (a towel) into the kettle and play with that?

3. Do people run separate PID settings in hot weather vs cold in their garage?

Back