Mash Paddle DIY Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, a mash paddle isn't the most complex part of building an AG rig, but I still had a few questions. First, I assume that the same food grade glue that is used on a cutting board would be fine, correct? Also, I usually oil the cutting boards, is this necessary? Should I use a different finish other than oil? Thanks.

I just went to Menards and bought a stick of untreated oak and cut it to length. Cost like $8. I don't oil it and make sure it gets a cleaning right after use.

I use an old piece of 3/4'' hardwood flooring. About 4" wide. Sanded it down and left as is. It's wide enough that I didn't have to use glue to assemble it. I think you could use mineral oil to finish it up but not necessary unless you're looking for a specifc look.

I would find a piece wide enough. A mash paddle doesn't have to be very large.

But yes, they do make food grade glues for laminating if you really wanted to.

I was thinking of laminating a few pieces of maple, but one solid piece is easier. I guess I will go that approach and I won't use any finish. Thanks for the replies!

I made a quick on from a large dowel (about 3/4 inch) and a smaller 1/4 to 3/8" one. It poplar but only ran me about $3. Use the 3/4" for the handle and the smaller dowel for the paddle. Drilled some full and half holes and snapped it together. works like a charm. looks kinda like this
mash-paddle.jpg

A local keyed me onto this brilliant idea, get a paint stirring attachment for your drill. Mix that mash up super fast!

-Steve

A drill mounted paint stirrer...I love adding power tools to my brew day!

WCrane: Thanks for the picture. Simple, but looks like it would work well.

Back