Mash at 120 degrees don't work so well...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo64

Reaction score
Well, I guess the short story is that the probe on my thermometer died and I didn't notice until 60 min into the mash. I noticed that the wort looked awful cloudy so I decided to try a starch test for the first time. After a few tests I concluded I won't try to rely on starch tests (hard to interpret the results).

My second thermometer told me that my mash temp was 120 F. :mad: I ended taking what would have been my first runnings and heated that up in the brewpot then put that into the mash tun. Twice. I'm finally at 150F and I'm gonna let that sit a while. Mash would have been 60 min. but I looking at 2 hours+ now.

I'm just hoping my brew turns out OK. The recipe I used was BeirMuncher's Centennial Blonde, SWMBO's fav. I'm kinda new to AG, but my thoughts are that a longer mash isn't bad and that this will turn out just fine. Anyone else have any similar problems or wanna comment?

You basically did an unintended protein rest and while the beer probably did not need it I doubt that it will have a seriously negative impact. It might show up as less head retention than on prior batches.

This will probably qualify in a few weeks for Revvy's thread about mistakes where the beer still turned out great .

I agree, you'd be surprised how bad you can try to F it up and the beer still survives. Might end up with beer so good you try to repilcate it on purpose.

It might end up feeling a little thin but you'll make beer. If you think it's hard to read a conversion test, pulverize a tiny bit of fresh grain and do the test again. You'll see how purple it gets when starch hits iodine.

I now use a hunk of chalk to do conversion tests on as seen in Kaiser's decoction mash vid. makes it really easy to see the change!

I am 5 brews into all grain so my setup has been growing and changing a lot. Its been pretty hard to hit temps/efficiency predictably but the beer has been great so far even if its not exactly right. Don't worry about it!

Back