Mash and boil on different days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshpooh

Reaction score
I have no days off this week, and I really wanted to do a batch of an AG beer. NO days off means that I don't have a whole day to devote to brewing like you need for AG. I tried doing the mash yesterday to make the wort and just doing the boil today. Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks to this method. It seems to me that it will work ok, but I need either reassurance from the forum or someone to tell me I'm doing something stupid whatever applies. If nobody knows I will certainly keep you all posted on results.

There have been some threads about it--I think the consesus was that it is probably best to do a mash out at 167-168, so that enzymatic activity is stopped while the mash sits overnight.

Did you mash,sparge and collect all the wort and let that sit out overnight or did you let the mash sit overnight?

I am doing this today. Last night I mashed, collected my wort and then threw it on the stove to denature the enzymes at 170 °F. I covered it and stored it outside so it could cool. Tonight I will boil.

An all grain brew can be done in one evening. You don't really need to sleep do you?

I did my first AG last night. I started heating my strike water about 7:30.
gave my daughter a bath then mashed just after 8:00.
Put my daughter to bed, got a bath (I bike commute) then starting getting the rest of my equipment together before doing the first sparge just after 9:00.
Some small issues with too much water volume and an under-performing burner but I still managed to get to bed by 1:30am. I think with a more powerful burner and some adjustments to my process I can do a batch before midnight in the future.

Craig

Possible "sour mash" ?

Depending on how you chilled your wort, the most likely 'infection' is lacto bacillus, which makes things sour. Suaerkraut, sour cream, like that. I did try it on purpose once. 20% of mash, three days early? Let it 'ferment', then add to rest of mash. I called it Strawberry Tart, it was a fruit beer for drinking on hot summer days.

This was after tasting "Hout Sour Blackberry" at Brew Mart, Point Loma Micro's HBS. So I think if you get a litttle bit of sour, that could be a +?

Any other infections will get boiled away today.

CBBaron said:
An all grain brew can be done in one evening. You don't really need to sleep do you?

I did my first AG last night. I started heating my strike water about 7:30.
gave my daughter a bath then mashed just after 8:00.
Put my daughter to bed, got a bath (I bike commute) then starting getting the rest of my equipment together before doing the first sparge just after 9:00.
Some small issues with too much water volume and an under-performing burner but I still managed to get to bed by 1:30am. I think with a more powerful burner and some adjustments to my process I can do a batch before midnight in the future.

Craig

Lol, yeah exactly. Problem is, what do you do when at 9:00 you are only slightly converted and that you need another full hour or so! Or you run into a slow sparge and it takes 6 hours :fro:

casebrew said:
Possible "sour mash" ?

Depending on how you chilled your wort, the most likely 'infection' is lacto bacillus, which makes things sour. Suaerkraut, sour cream, like that. I did try it on purpose once. 20% of mash, three days early? Let it 'ferment', then add to rest of mash. I called it Strawberry Tart, it was a fruit beer for drinking on hot summer days.

This was after tasting "Hout Sour Blackberry" at Brew Mart, Point Loma Micro's HBS. So I think if you get a litttle bit of sour, that could be a +?

From what I have been learning through experience is that you need to hold it in the neighborhood of 60 °F to 150 °F to encourage them. I think there are two things one can do to help keep these bacteria at bay for at least 24 hrs. 1) Raise your temp to 170 °F at mashout, holds your profile and helps eliminate the Lactos, and others (although the others are less of a concern on the short time scale). 2) Cool the wort down below the comfortable level for those bugs. Ideal is probably high 80's to 120 ish for them to grow so if you can get the temp down quickly and keep the vessel covered to help eliminate reintroducing the bacteria then it should help.

I mashed, sparged and collected all the wort. I didn't just let the mash sit overnight, and I mashed out at 170f.

casebrew said:
Possible "sour mash" ?

Wow, I assumed all bacteria would be boiled away. It never occured to me that some wouldn't.

casebrew said:
But, if lactos does get going , he's just making AciduLated Wort, no?

Roger that. Which in itself might not even be noticeable in the final product depending on the degree of acidulation that has occured. I found that a small percentage imparts a wonderful characteristic to low gravity beers especially.

joshpooh said:
Wow, I assumed all bacteria would be boiled away. It never occured to me that some wouldn't.

Your grain is infected with it! The problem doesn't lie in post-boil but rather these bacteria go to work pre-boil. They die off once you reach around 150 °F.This is one reason why it is not a good practice to grind malt in the same area you have your fermentors, etc. The stuff can get airborne on the dust. If you just hold your mash in the tun for 2 days, I can almost gaurantee it will become sour.

zoebisch01 said:
Lol, yeah exactly. Problem is, what do you do when at 9:00 you are only slightly converted and that you need another full hour or so! Or you run into a slow sparge and it takes 6 hours :fro:
Being that this was my first AG, I have no idea what you are talking about. :eek:
I let it sit for an hour in an insulated tun then drained. I'm not yet advanced enough to worry about complete conversions or not.
Then I add more hot water and let it sit for 10 min, then drained again. I guess the nice thing about batch sparging is the run off is quick.
Being that this was my first AG I was concerned that it might be an all nighter. It did take longer than I had hoped for but not excessively so. If I would have figured my water volumes better and had some more omph in my burners I would have had 5 gals in the fermenter around midnight.
Craig

CBBaron said:
Being that this was my first AG, I have no idea what you are talking about. :eek:
I let it sit for an hour in an insulated tun then drained. I'm not yet advanced enough to worry about complete conversions or not.
Then I add more hot water and let it sit for 10 min, then drained again. I guess the nice thing about batch sparging is the run off is quick.
Being that this was my first AG I was concerned that it might be an all nighter. It did take longer than I had hoped for but not excessively so. If I would have figured my water volumes better and had some more omph in my burners I would have had 5 gals in the fermenter around midnight.
Craig

Well that was kind of my tounge-in-cheek approach to trying to help you think about it so that you can avoid the pain lol :D. You should really get a tincture of Iodine at a pharmacy. You don't want unconverted starch in your beer at all. I wasn't trying to be an @sshat or anything, just trying to get you to think about the what-if's, which in essence to a degree is at the heart of this thread. By having the ability to split the brew night you can either plan it that way and help make it a bit more convenient if you run short on time, or if something goes bad you have a good fallback plan. :tank:

joshpooh said:
I mashed, sparged and collected all the wort. I didn't just let the mash sit overnight, and I mashed out at 170f.

I was just thinking, you are probably ok josh. RDWHAHB.

Just taste the wort. You'll know if it has soured. It can take as little as 24 hrs to produce a noticeable degree of sourness, but that is when you are trying to do so. What I am getting at is that there are steps you can take (one which you already performed by hopefully killing off the majority of lacto's when you mashed out) to provide an unfavorable environment for the bacteria.

In the worst case scenario, even if it did sour it would probably be only slight I would guess and even then it might not be a bad thing.

Ok, I am boiling now. No sourness whatsoever. To reiterate, mash, lauter and make sure that the mash reaches 170 F, cover and place in a relatively cool place. I am at roughly 22 hrs from the wort having been lautered.

A memory just flashed in: To make sour wort, you mash 20% =/-., cool, then add a handfil of fresh malt. It takes that handful to get the infection going.

Back