Marzen - opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoB Lever

Reaction score
All Grain 5.5 gal batch

8lb. German Pilsner
3lb. German Munich Dark
2lb. Caramunich I

1 oz. Hallertau 60 min boil
.4 oz Hallertau 10 min boil

WLP820

60 Min Mash @ 153
batch sparge

90 Min boil

Way too much caramunich I really dont think a Marzen needs any but If you prefer the taste of sam adams Octoberfest over something like an Ayinger then use it but keep it below 10% maybe even 5%

Thanks for the feedback. I do love SA Octoberfest, but also enjoy more traditional versions. Regarding the Caramunich, I was trying to balance out color and ABV. I might reduce it, or just give it a try and see how it turns out. I've already got the yeast, what is wrong with WLP820?

I usually do about 1/3 each pilsner, Vienna, and Munich malts. Then I add a half pound of caramunich. Bitter to 20ish ibus and you have a fan favorite. Everyone loves this beer when I make it. Usually ferment with Bock lager yeast at 50 degrees. Easy.

I've already got the yeast, what is wrong with WLP820?

Long lag to start fermentation, won't attenuate any lower than 68% or about 1.018 for a standard strength marzen.

If necessary you can adjust color with an ounce of dark roasted grain. I'd use chocolate or black patent. It won't affect the flavor in this small amount.

Long lag to start fermentation, won't attenuate any lower than 68% or about 1.018 for a standard strength marzen.

If necessary you can adjust color with an ounce of dark roasted grain. I'd use chocolate or black patent. It won't affect the flavor in this small amount.

Again thanks for the feedback. I don't have a LHBS so I can't just run and grab different ingredients. I might have a little chocolate left over, so maybe can try that.

You can toast some of your own in your oven until it turns a deep amber color, that could help too. If you use more than a couple ounces, your beer will begin to taste more nutty, toasty, whatever... which is probably very tasty anyway!

I brewed this on 4/15. I changed up the recipe to:
German Pilsner - 8.5lb
German Munich Dark - 3lb
Caramunich - .75lb
Chocolate - 2oz

The target OG was 1.061 and FG 1.022
Actual OG 1.060 FG 1.017

Pitched at 50, after 5 days brought it down to 43 and left it there till yesterday. Had some out of the fermenter and it tasted awesome! Just a hint on the sweet side. Our plan is to leave this in our cellar (garage fridge) till Septemberish.....gonna be hard to leave it there!

Back