Marzen/Oktoberfest Recipe..Please Critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So after a couple years of overdoing it on IPA's, I've really been trying to re-introduce myself to some of the other great styles out there. I picked up some Gordon Biersch Marzen and reminded myself of how much I used to love that beer. So naturally I decided I need to brew my own version of the style. This is what I have come up with so far...

3.25 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 35.14 %
3.25 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 35.14 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 21.62 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
0.25 lb Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Lager

This would put me at an OG of 1.055,18 IBU's & and an SRM of 14.3(Too dark?). I would probably ferment at 50* for 7-10 days, let it warm up for a d-rest & then lager for a couple months.

Never having brewed this style, I would love to have y'all's input.

Thanks in advance:mug:

In a traditional marzen/oktoberfest they don't use crystal...so if you are going for a more traditional style you might want to change that, otherwise leave it. I would drop the carafa and use 1lb or so of melanoidin. The hop schedule looks good. I just brewed a similar recipe with an ale yeast. Should be ready for oktoberfest.

A pound of melanoidin seems like a lot to me. Another option might be some aromatic...perhaps 6-7 ounces. Otherwise ditto I think it looks great.

In terms of hops, I would personally choose Spalt. However, I am just a fan of it's particular flavor.

I like your grain bill as-is. Traditional o-fests might not have crystal, but 1/2 pound won't kill you.

Get rid of the Carafa. I would also suggest upping the Munich and dropping the Pilsner somewhat, maybe 20% Pils, and about 40% each Vienna and Munich. 18 IBUs won't be enough IMO. Increase the bittering addition to get the number up to about 24.

Latest posts

Back