marzen fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmancuso

Reaction score
My first lager, a Marzen, has been fermenting for about 15 days now. After about 11 days i pulled a sample and my gravity was at 1.022, my expecting final gravity was 1.015 and there was a ton of diacetyl present so i bumped it up to 60 degrees slowly. After 2 days at 60 degrees i noticed no airlock activity so I pulled another sample and the gravity was still 1.022 although the diacetyl seemed to be fading. So I then moved it up to 66 degrees and its been there for a few days and I'm just starting to see more airlock activity. Should I keep it there for a few more days or slowly start moving it back down to 50 where it was at initially. Oh and O.G. was 1.057

I'd start bringing it back down for racking to the secondary. You don't want to keep the lager yeast too warm for too long. Noonan reccomends only 2 days at all at 60. It will kind of coast out to a final gravity, not sure if you will hit 1.015 but it will get closer by the time you are done lagering. I always seem to loose a couple points in Laggering.

Also the bubbles may have been CO2 leaving solution as the beer gets warmer. Just get it back down to lagering temp, sit back, relax, and Have a Home Brew.

This may or may not have had any effect on your FG situation, but you don't need to raise the temp. slowly for a D-rest. There are some good things to be said about lowering temps slowly, but when raising temps... no need to do it slowly. For D-rests that are near 6 points short of expected FG, it's better to raise it quickly.

Back