Marris Otter smash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmetal

Reaction score
For a marris otter smash with US04 and the following hops, what would your choice be and why?

fuggles, cascade, centennial, citra.

I am thinking a fuggles MO smash for a simple english bitter type.

What do yall think?

I'd tend to agree. I wouldn't say MO is "sweet" exactly, nor that S-04 is "fruity", but there's some truth to that and seems like Fuggles might go nicely with it.

Maris Otter and Fuggle are classic English brewing ingredients. They certainly belong together. S-04 is not the most interesting English yeast, but it should yield a relatively clean beer if fermented around 62-63 in the first couple of days. You can bump it after that. This should allow the simple ingredients to express themselves.

The alternative is to use American hops, and let the hops shine with multiple flavor and aroma additions.

I did an excellent Maris Otter & Willamate SMASH with US-05. Some day I may try a different hop/yeast.

I did an excellent Maris Otter & Willamate SMASH with US-05. Some day I may try a different hop/yeast.
That’s what I’ll brew this weekend, just used my fuggles on a Blonde ale . Just switched over to all electric with Brew Hardware Hotrods , and rewired my brew house to accommodate the electric requirements .

How did it turn out?

I did a SMaSH Pale Ale with MO and Azacca. 1oz@60, 1oz@15, 1oz@WP, 1oz@DH; used White Labs Dry English Ale Yeast (007). About 6% ABV and so amazing!

It was so good, the last time I bought 55# of base malt, I bought a bag of MO instead of 2-Row. For a $20 price difference, WTH!

Latest posts

Back