Marris Otter = lower OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
Since going all grain I've been using Marris Otter in my English style and bigger beers. But every time I mash it (between 150 & 158) I get a lower OG. Recently I brewed 2 pale ales, and English and an American. I kept the grain bills exactly the same but replaced 40% of the base grain in the English with Marris Otter. I mashed them at the same temp but the OG of the English was 1.043 and the American was 1.05. Is this normal?

I use a marris otter quite a bit and never noticed this problem. Is there a chance the crush is different than your other grains and that is causing the problem? Maybe you got it milled somewhere new? Also, how long are you mashing?

I noticed the opposite when I would use Maris Otter from my LHBS. My OG were always at least 4 points higher than if I had used US Base Malt...

Redbeard5289

Same crush by the same mill. And the same mash time/temp 154* for 60 minutes. I was under the impression it should raise the OG.

I had a low efficiency problem with Marris Otter on my last brew with it. I was half expecting it, as the malt has a funny look to it, like the shoots were coming out when it was malted. I think this is what's known as "Over Germination". If this were the case, then the amount of malt extract the grains would be capable of would be lower. I have my own mill and settings have not been changed, and my next brew went just fine with my standard two row. Did your malt look funny by any chance? Does anyone know if there are any geometrical difference that Marris has that would require adjustment to my mill before using?

I've never noticed any difference in efficiency/extract with MO vs other pale malts. Just a guess, but where are you getting your malt? Perhaps the LHBS doesn't turn it over enough and the malt is getting old?

I've never noticed any difference in efficiency/extract with MO vs other pale malts. Just a guess, but where are you getting your malt? Perhaps the LHBS doesn't turn it over enough and the malt is getting old?

It's possible, but doubtful. It's a pretty busy LHBS. I've never been the only customer in the shop.

Back