Maris Otter DIPA mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhSoHumuLonely

Reaction score
I've got 15# of Maris Otter for a SMaSH DIPA. I was wondering if you guys think I should mash at a low temperature to give it the typical low-gravity FG, or should I mash at a slightly higher temperature and add sugar to make up the difference, so that I can dry the beer out some, get a higher ABV, but still allow the Maris Otter flavor to be present?

Personally I would mash a little higher to have the sweetness balance out the high ABV. I would try in the 154 - 156 range.

Okay. It came with a mixed bag 2# biscuit and 1# Honey malt. If I wanted to mash low, could I add in a portion of that to give it some sweetness? Maybe 9 or 12 oz of that mixture?

Sent from my PantechP8010 using Home Brew mobile app

Okay. It came with a mixed bag 2# biscuit and 1# Honey malt. If I wanted to mash low, could I add in a portion of that to give it some sweetness? Maybe 9 or 12 oz of that mixture?

Sent from my PantechP8010 using Home Brew mobile app

Sure you could add in some Honey Malt. Maybe mash around 152.

To give another opinion, I would both mash low and leave out the honey malt. But I don't like my IPA's sweet at all.

Back