Maris Otter / Amarillo SMaSH questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyllobeddo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on doing a Maris Otter/Amarillo SMaSH this weekend and was looking for some advise on the recipe.

I have one ounce of Amarillo hops for a 2.5 gallon batch. I made a Maris Otter/Fuggles SMaSH before, but it was a little bit sweet. I want to hop this one up some more so it will be less sweet. I understand that the AA% is higher vs the Fuggles, but I am still looking for some insight on the hop additions for this one. I'm at work right now and don't have access to Beersmith 2. Here's what I have right now.

4lb Maris Otter
1 oz Amarillo (4g FWH, 15g @ 60 min, 5g @ 20 min, 4g @ 10 min)
Mash @ 152 for 60 or 75 minutes
WLP001 or Notty or US-05 or British Ale Yeast II

I have one or two more pounds of MO. All I have is the one ounce of Amarillo.
I do have some other hops available as well as other grains, like honeymalt. I'm not totally against changing the recipe away from a SMaSH, but it's not my plan for now.

I did a similar recipe for a 10 gallon batch with 14 lbs MO 2 lbs honey malt and 7 lbs 2Row with only 4 oz of Amarillo with and it came out awesome.
Good luck, I think the MO and Honey will work really well.
Cheers

Here's what I ended up brewing yesterday.

2.5 gallon batch

4lb Maris Otter
8 oz honey malt
4 oz Cara-pils
1 oz Amarillo
[5.1g FWH
8.5g @ 60 min
4.5g @ 20 min
4.9g @ 10 min
3.68g @ 0 min]
1/2 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 minutes
Mash @ 152 for 75 minutes
75 minute boil
WLP001 @ 65 degrees
OG - 1052
IBU - 37

The Amarillo hops smelled awesome as did the MO and honey malt combined. I'll pitch the yeast today after crashing the starter.

Not really a SMaSH then, eh?

I just did a MO/Amarillo SMaSH on the 12th... excited to see how it turns out.

Edit: Just saw that you weren't dead-set on a SMaSH anyway.

Not really a SMaSH then, eh?

I just did a MO/Amarillo SMaSH on the 12th... excited to see how it turns out.

Edit: Just saw that you weren't dead-set on a SMaSH anyway.

Right. Not a SMaSH. They honey malt kept calling my name, and I couldn't resist it. I pitched WLP001 last night @ 10P and noticed activity this morning @ 6A. It's super active right now. Yeasties floating and swimming all over the place.

Wow. I kegged this one yesterday and put it on gas (30PSI) for 24 hours and then turned it down to 12PSI. I tried a sample a few minutes ago (30+ hours on gas) and it was absolutely great. Great hop aroma out of the gate, nice maltiness with the MO, a decent hop bite, and I think there's a bit of honey in there as well. I'm really liking this one. Carbonation is still coming along obviously, and it was only a small sample, but so far this one is excellent. I'm very happy with it thus far. This one is definitely worth brewing again. :mug:

Here's what I ended up brewing yesterday.

2.5 gallon batch

4lb Maris Otter
8 oz honey malt
4 oz Cara-pils
1 oz Amarillo
[5.1g FWH
8.5g @ 60 min
4.5g @ 20 min
4.9g @ 10 min
3.68g @ 0 min]
1/2 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 minutes
Mash @ 152 for 75 minutes
75 minute boil
WLP001 @ 65 degrees
OG - 1052
IBU - 37

The Amarillo hops smelled awesome as did the MO and honey malt combined. I'll pitch the yeast today after crashing the starter.

That grain bill is pretty much the same as my house pale ale. I might have to switch up my hops and see what Amarillo can do!

That grain bill is pretty much the same as my house pale ale. I might have to switch up my hops and see what Amarillo can do!

Judging from my first few draws off of this keg, I would say that trying Amarillo is well worth a shot. Report back if you try it. Let us know how it went.

This seems to be losing the nice hop aroma it had when I first tapped the keg. It's still tasting great, though. :) It wasn't dry hopped this time. I think I'll try dry hopping next time for some added hop aroma.

Back