marionberry melomel with ambient yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipmont

Reaction score
I just accumulated enough marionberries in the freezer to start a 7 gallon batch of melomel. After thawing, I began mashing them up and noticed more fizziness than other times I have made this in the past. (Maybe they got warmer during thaw time?) So an hour later, after blending in the honey and water, a pulp cap formed immediately. In the past, this hasn't happened for me. There is usually no cap during the first day when I sulfite, and even part of the second day after pitching.

I was planning on sulfiting today and pitching yeast tomorrow, but am considering skipping the sulfites letting the ambients have at it, since they seems to be happy as can be in there. And how nice to have zero lag time.

Has anyone ever tried this? I could split the batch and risk a smaller portion for little bench test. But I don't know if I have the cajones to risk even a little of what is usually a delectable melomel. If anyone has had success with this, did you let the ambients finish? Or perhaps sulfite going into secondary and then pitch a reliable, commercial yeast?

Thanks for any advice -

I just accumulated enough marionberries in the freezer to start a 7 gallon batch of melomel. After thawing, I began mashing them up and noticed more fizziness than other times I have made this in the past. (Maybe they got warmer during thaw time?) So an hour later, after blending in the honey and water, a pulp cap formed immediately. In the past, this hasn't happened for me. There is usually no cap during the first day when I sulfite, and even part of the second day after pitching.

I was planning on sulfiting today and pitching yeast tomorrow, but am considering skipping the sulfites letting the ambients have at it, since they seems to be happy as can be in there. And how nice to have zero lag time.

Has anyone ever tried this? I could split the batch and risk a smaller portion for little bench test. But I don't know if I have the cajones to risk even a little of what is usually a delectable melomel. If anyone has had success with this, did you let the ambients finish? Or perhaps sulfite going into secondary and then pitch a reliable, commercial yeast?

Thanks for any advice -
Your issue is likely to be that because you've no way of knowing what the natural yeast type is, means that you might indeed have one that will make it taste bloody awful and no amount of proven wine yeast strain will correct that.

Personally, I would either sulphite it and then use the yeast you like the most etc, or just rehydrate some K1V-1116, as that should kill off the wild yeast and become the dominant strain quite quickly.

It's your batch, only you know how much time and effort you've put into it, including picking the berries etc......

Yeah, well said. I did end up sulfiting yesterday and will pitch 71b or cote des blanc this evening. I've never used 1116 before, even in emergency situations. But I've read a few interesting things about it lately that make me think it could also be the ticket in non-emergency situations.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back