Marin House Brewing co. pickle beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take beer. Blend pickle juice/brine/whatever it's called to taste. Easy as that. I wouldn't want it in my equipment though (can't see that being an easy character to get back out) so I'd suggest doing it in the glass at serving. As far as a starting ratio I haven't the foggiest but I'd imagine it won't take much.

looks like a plethora of information here. I'm guessing there aren't many Texans on here. it's made by Martin House Brewing co. in Fort Worth Texas.

Attachments

• 20201225_213434.jpg
    20201225_213434.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 24
Take beer. Blend pickle juice/brine/whatever it's called to taste. Easy as that. I wouldn't want it in my equipment though (can't see that being an easy character to get back out) so I'd suggest doing it in the glass at serving. As far as a starting ratio I haven't the foggiest but I'd imagine it won't take much.
This is a good suggestion. It’s very possible the brewery is blending at packaging anyway since they wouldn’t typically want acetic producing bacteria in their system unless they are already set up for it

Last edited:
I believe that beer is just a blonde ale with pickle juice added. I would guess they added it in the bright tank to minimize how much equipment had to be cleared of pickle flavor. (If you've ever tried to wash and reuse a pickle jar you know how hard it is to fully eliminate the aroma.) Maybe it's added during fermentation but the change in ph might not be great for the yeast.

Pick a not-too-hoppy blonde ale and blend pickle juice to taste at bottling/kegging. Try some different ratios to get the flavor right.

There won't be any issues with acetic acid production in your equipment. The pickles you buy in the green juice--what's used in this beer--are acidified with vinegar rather than pickled through lactic or acetic fermentation.

looks like a plethora of information here. I'm guessing there aren't many Texans on here. it's made by Martin House Brewing co. in Fort Worth Texas.
Did you ever get a recipe for the Pickle beer? I want to try and make one like Spicy Pickle Monster from Prarie Artisan Ales. That sour beer would go good with a hamburger on a summer day. Tried it when I was in San Antonio August of 2021. Had a great time when I was in Texas.

They do several different lactose sours which are quite nice. I personally can’t stand pickle juice; so this offering is a no go for me.

I gotta say, and I feel deep shame admitting this, and though I haven't indulged in a drink in a couple of decades, when I was a kid you couldn't keep me from sippin' on a jar of them dill pickles.

I just couldn't slake my thirst any other way and momma would throw a fit upon discovering a jar of pickles left high and dry after I'd drank up all that dilly sour goodness, but it's my cross to bear and the good lord doesn't make mistakes so there must be a place for me in the bigger pickle picture.

It's just really deep in mah veins and lord help me I have a wife and family now but I just love love love me some dill pickle juice and I ache for the day I'll be able to sip in the daylight without shame and let my freaky dill flag fly for everyone to see. Amen.

Back