March Pump 230 v to 115 v conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergman1118

Reaction score
I recently obtained an unwired March pump (AC 3C MD) on the cheap.. only to find out when I got it that it was a 230 v model, not 115 v..

I don't have a 230 v outlet where I plan to use this, so I'll need to use a converter. Also, I need to wire this thing but obviously need to use a 230 v extension cord to wire it (unless there's a better suggestion out there).

So,

1. Would it be safe to use a converter with the pump? I intend to use it for recirculating wort before lautering and for running through my plate chiller, mainly.

2. What do I need to wire this with a 230 v extension cord? Do I need to solder or something? Sorry, I've wired some 115 v stuff before (like my temperature controller), but 230 v is beyond me.

Do a search on "120V to 240V step up transformer"

There are lots of devices out there that can do the job for you. Most are used for devices purchased in Europe and brought back to the USA. The normal voltage available in Europe is 240V not 120V.

I'm well aware that there are 230 v - 120 v converters, my question is whether these would be safe/suitable to use for long term use. I'm assuming your opinion is that they are - I guess they are cheap enough to be worth a shot any way (I may even have one somewhere around here from my Europe trip a few years ago..).

The bigger question - anybody have experience wiring 230 v devices? Or would there be a way to just wire this into a 115 v plug? Again, sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'm definitely no electrician.

Well - you are in for a challange. If you simply wire the pump to a 120V plug and run it with 120V, you will burn the pump up. Bad move! If you simply wire it with a 120V cord and then use a converter, you seriously risk making a mistake and will eventually plug it into a 120V outlet. Good bye pump.

The motor can be taken apart and rewired for 120V, but, I don't think you are ready for that adventure. It's fairly complicated for one without experience.

BTW the converters are safe and suitable for use. Just choose one that has a large enough power rating to support the pump.

Here's a pic of the wire. I'm not near the pump right now, will post specs when I get home. It's the AC MD 3 March pump

Err.. not sure what is up with the attachments and the smartphone app, but it doesn't look like it worked. Will correct later..

Sorry for the picture quality, but you should get the gist of the wire end.

I don't know what is meant by "length from outlet to pump", but here are the rest of the specs asked for:

March AC-3C-MD
150 watts
2.1 amps

Help would be much appreciated!

2011-06-26_12-44-27_470.jpg

That connector is set up for plugging into a another connector. You will need to wire the motor wires to a cord and plug so that you can use it. Your motor is a 230V unit so you cannot use a standard cord and plug. The plug must be designed for 230V so that you cannot make a mistake and plug it in to an outlet that is not supplying the proper power. In other words - the outlet must be a 240V outlet.

The 3 connections are:
Phase 1 - 240V
Phase 2 - 240V
Equipment ground.

That connector is set up for plugging into a another connector. You will need to wire the motor wires to a cord and plug so that you can use it.

So.. do I need to get a female piece to fit the prongs? Only thing I can find looks like this and doesn't match the configuration of the metal prongs:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Or can I just just chop off that connector to expose the wires, strip back the wires, and wire them through a 230 v extension cord?

In other words - the outlet must be a 240V outlet.

But I could still use the 240 v - 120 v converter, right?

Sorry for noob questions on this. I'm not electrically/mechanically inclined (obviously).

Some more questions. your 240-120V converter: Can it be plugged into a standard 120V outlet? An image of it would be a lot of help in figuring it all out.

Regarding the pump: Yes, you would cut the connector off and then splice it to a cord. The cord should mate with the 240V output connection of your converter. The converter input should be the 120V side and it would plug into a standard 120V outlet.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but if you're going to connect to the 240 outlet via an extension cord, there's no need for a converter. You could just strip the wires and connect via an extension cord. Just make sure the cord is adequate for the load and the length of the run. Personally, if you're talking more than a few feet and/or a permanent setup, I'd just wire in a new 240 line. Not much different than 120 really; just that rather than a hot, a common, and a ground, you have two hots and a ground.

I found a similar cord for even cheaper --> http://www.opentip.com/Musical-Inst...tscables-Meter-Euro-Power-Cord-p-1884941.html

I think I will buy that cord, pick up a transformer that can handle the wattage I'm working with, slice and splice, and try it out. If it works, then I've got a working March pump on my hands for really cheap. If it doesn't, then I'm out some cash, but at least I know that I tried.

P-J - thanks a million for getting me on the right track with this! Your help has been invaluable in figuring this out.

I'll post the results when I'm done!

If it doesn't, then I'm out some cash, but at least I know that I tried.

P-J - thanks a million for getting me on the right track with this! Your help has been invaluable in figuring this out.

I'll post the results when I'm done!
HEY... WAIT - Wait.

What do you mean "at least I know that I tried"? That's BS. Do not throw in the towel. I won't let you do that.!!!

When you get all of the bits and pieces and put it together - if you have any concerns, reservations, doubts or problems, We are not done. You send me a PM with the "Help" meaasge and a phone number and I'll call you. Don't ever give up. (Unless you see smoke - then just run like unholy hell!)
ROTFLMAO.gif

We are only done when you are up and running.

Oh, A heads up: Do not run the pump dry. Do not try to test it in any way shape or form unless the pump head is hooked up and flooded with water.

We are only done when you are up and running.

Good point! Never give up.. never surrender. I'm sure this is workable, and I'm fairly confident that what we've devised will work. Thanks again for the guidance, and I'll take you up on your offer for additional help should this first try fail. :mug:

Well, it's OBVIOUSLY been a while, but I just wanted to report back that I got it to work!

I chopped off the connector at the end of the pump cord, stripped back the wires, spliced it to a a 230 v cord (http://www.opentip.com/Musical-Inst...tscables-Meter-Euro-Power-Cord-p-1884941.html), purchased a transformer for pretty cheap (can't find the link right now), hooked it up to power.. and voila! It works! Anyone else who is trying this, just be sure you splice together the correct colors on the wires - the 230 v cord I purchased was colored in the European system, which does not match up with the standard US format (of course!). So TRIPLE CHECK your wiring to be sure you don't connect the wrong lines.

I'm glad it worked. I thought European outlets were 3 wires with one being 220, one neutral and one ground. US 220 outlet is 120, 120, neutral. Whatever as long as it works.

You can chop the connector off to make things easier. You should have one green wire (Ground) and there will either be a black and a white or two black wires...those are the leads that get power. If you happen to have a 220v outlet in the house for your dryer or washing machine you can use that. You just need to find an extension cord long enough to get from that plug to where you will be using the pump. The wires on the pump are 18/3 (first number is the gauge and the second number is the number of wires...3 total) ....you can get a 14/3 or better yet a 12/3 extension cord (The lower the first number is the bigger the wire is inside and can handle a higher load)....cut the female end off the extension cord and strip back the wires. More then likely the extension cord will have a black, a red and the green wire inside of it. Hook up green with green....and the other two wires you can hook up any which way. Its a single phase motor so you cant reverse the rotation of it by messing up what wire it gets connected to. And you should be good to go. If you don't have a 220v outlet in the house as an electrician to install one for you....its very simple to do and if you are close to the main electrical panel they can mount the 220v box for you right there.
Sorry for not responding to the thread sooner.....i haven't seen it before now. :)

Latest posts

Back