March '14 Photo Contest - Brewing Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammy33

Reaction score
This months topic is Brewing Ingredients. Entry extended until April 15th!
Examples:
Grain
Extract
Hops
Yeast

Use your creativity. Do something interesting but stay on the theme of brewing ingredients. Note we are not limited to just beer since HBT also covers wine, mead and sake. Again stay on topic of ingredients with your images.

Submit your photos for the March '14 contest to this thread. All posts here should simply be entries for the contest with a description of your photo. Please stay on topic and avoid any excess off-topic banter.

Note we are starting a bit late this month as this is the first contest so submissions will go until the 15th. We will then post a poll for judging. Consider this a beta run for future contests and post any suggestions in the original thread.

Judging criteria will be on originality of your image, techniques including focus and exposure, composition and lighting.

Rules:
  • Open to HBT members with at least 10 posts.
  • Size of 1024px max width or height.
  • Must be a photo taken for the contest.
  • Photos should be directly related to the current months topic.
  • No repeat or reusing photos of previous entries.
  • One entry per person, per month.
  • Each entry needs a few sentences describing it.
  • Pictures will be posted in a new topic (ie - March '14 Photo Contest) on the 1st of each month.
  • People have all month to submit photos.
  • Judging starts on the 1st.
  • Voting will be through Polls.
  • End of the year all winning photos from the months are compiled for photo of the year.
  • Prizes will simply be bragging rights at this point.

Special thanks to Wyo_brews for getting us started!

Get those cameras out and start submitting your photos! You have until April 15th to submit. :mug:

Awesome! I don't know how I'll find time to compose a shot and get my non-existent lighting equipment together, but I am looking forward to this just for the sake of seeing what others have done and how I might improve my own photography.

What are the regulations regarding use of image editing software post-camera? None or limited, or the sky's the limit?

Like would it be advisable to run said image through an effects filter to create an art work? Or is this just more or less raw photography? What about adjusting for white balance or color? Blur effects?

I would say the sky is the limit. I plan to use Lightroom and Photoshop btw. No restrictions on photo editing software. Go for it!

Yeah, If I can only remember to do this! Adding a reminder to my phone.

"Sometimes the sun shines in, and I close the blinds, cause I can't stand to see the light of day. I have no use for pain, but I don't mind the rain, cause I can stay inside and hear the sound.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.
"

I'm a fan of Colin Hay myself. Great lyrics on that albumn.

"Sometimes the sun shines in, and I close the blinds, cause I can't stand to see the light of day. I have no use for pain, but I don't mind the rain, cause I can stay inside and hear the sound.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.
"

I'm a fan of Colin Hay myself. Great lyrics on that albumn.

It's possibly my favorite Men at Work song. He has a real touch with lyrics and I really enjoy his voice. I miss the good old days with the original lineups though.

Sad to hear about him and Rod Strykert having a falling out though.

I used to listen to the Cargo album on repeat when I was a teen.

Aged hops for Lambic.

IMG_0384.jpg

What happened here :(??

And Chugach, I enjoy that photo. Well done! :mug:

Wow, that was kind of disappointing. One solid entry, and nothing else. At all. I guess everyone was intimidated by Chugach's mad photography skills.

In the interest of having more than one photo entry in a photo contest, I humbly submit my brewing ingredient photo:

I call it "Water, from the tap". The main ingredient in all of my beers. :drunk:

water.jpg

Yeah, I need more persistent reminding.

I think we have a winner!

And let's try this again for this month. I will set a reminder to put my camera out so I will actually do it.

Here's my late challenger from my pumkin ale extract :p

Nice photo skills from my phone:mug:

20131027_201226.jpg

Ok...good to some photos being posted. :)

Let's extend this through April 15th.

PS: Don't get distracted by anything important like filing your taxes. Post your picture!

Although, i think you've a guaranteed winner Chugach...

I think we need to get a crowd of posters here first before we jump to another topic/month. Maybe 2 months per category?

I think its a great idea, but 2 mo might be a long stretch/turnaround. That and no calendar at the end of the year. I was just joking about the win, I do think a new topic might be good... Or maybe there isn't as much interest out there...? Who knows.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

I'll let it to the higher beings! I'm sitting on the fence willing to whip out my cellphone during my next brew.... just need a topic!

My vote is we move on to a new topic so we can have a sick calendar at the end of the year... with two extra pix at some point...

Ok...seems there is at least some interest in a photo contest. Let's call this round over and pick a winner. What say you?

Back