marbles in dry hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You should do something to sink your dry hops

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

JLivermore

Reaction score
It is advisable to sink your dry hop bag.

Trying very hard to make this a poll.

Your vote and any further explanation appreciated!

What's the best way to keep all the hop residue from being bottled when you transfer to bottling bucket. Hop bags. Can u filter it with a screen or should it be cold crashed. If it bits of hops go into the beer will it settle once in the fridge for a few days?

Yooper, how do you siphon out?

I chucked in loose and I think it tastes better, but it so much harder to siphon out with cheese cloth over the end of the siphon, it takes forever and I am constantly cleaning and unclogging it.

Any tips?

Yooper, how do you siphon out?

I chucked in loose and I think it tastes better, but it so much harder to siphon out with cheese cloth over the end of the siphon, it takes forever and I am constantly cleaning and unclogging it.

Any tips?

Well, I never had luck with trying to use a hops bag or cheese cloth, so I just siphon. The key for me has been to start the siphon about halfway down- below the floaters and above the sinkers. Then, just lower the siphon as the level of the beer lowers. There is a black tip on the autosiphon that helps with the big chunks. If you lower it into the trub, and just get a little squirt of yeast, that helps set up the rest of the filtering and then keeps out the small chunks. It's hard to explain, but if you siphon clear beer, you'll get clear beer out in the end.

I've been a winemaker for a good many years, and there is lots of racking involved, so I'm pretty proficient with it, but anybody can do it.

Interesting. I just used a rubber tube the first time which let so much crap in it clogged up the keg after I drew a few pints, which was a total pain in the ass.

I don't have an autosiphon, but I have the attached photo.

I was pretty confident this would get clogged up while siphoning.

what do you think?

photo.JPG

Just throw your hops in a (sanitized) muslin bag and dunk it. The oils will get in there over the week.

I do what Yooper does. Unless I dry hop in the keg, If that's the case I use a muslin bag. It's really down to personal preference.. there is no wrong way to do it.

Back