Maple Pecan Brown Ale All Grain Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3greubs4

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to formulating recipes and I could really use some help. I'm trying to clone a local beer from Brick House Brewery on Long Island they call their breakfast brown. They describe it as a maple pecan brown ale with a 13 plato (1.053) OG and a ABV of 5.3.

After inquiring with their brewmaster he told me the following "For Malts we used Pale Malt (for our basemalt), a bit of vienna, Flaked Oats, Brown Malt, CaraVienne, and Pale Chocolate malts. We just used a minimal amount of nugget for hops. We used commercial grade maple syrup and put it in right after primary fermentation was almost done, 1-2 lbs should be perfect for a 5 gallon batch. Also get about 4 pounds of pecans roast them and put them in the mash."

As far as my tasting notes I remember it as a dark brown color with a rich taste where you could detect the smoothness of the maple syrup and noticeable pecan sweetness.

So playing around in beersmith I came to the following, its spot on on the OG but high on the estimated ABV. Also the color appears close maybe a tad lighter than i remember. Uses 70% efficiency.
6.5 lb Pale Malt
1 lb Crystal 20L substituted for the caravienne
.75 lb Vienna
.5 lb chocolate malt
.5 lb flaked oats
.25 lb brown malt
2lb crushed roasted pecans
1lb maple syrup in secondary racked slightly early
.5 oz nugget @ 45

Thoughts, advice? I basically based it on relative quantities in other brown ale recipes.

Also if there's any other information I should have included just let me know.

Made some minor adjustments if anyone wants to chime in.
6 lb Pale Malt
.75 lb Crystal 20L substituted for the caravienne
.75 lb Vienna
.5 lb chocolate malt
.5 lb flaked oats
.25 lb brown malt
2lb crushed roasted pecans
1.5 lb maple syrup in secondary racked slightly early
.5 oz nugget @ 45

Being from Georgia I'm a sucker for pecans. I might try this recipe minus the maple syrup. Thanks for posting it!

Back