Maple Aceryglyn smells like salty yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclejones

Reaction score
on wednesday I made a batch of Maple Syrup Acerglyn and put it into a 5 gallon carboy for primary using 1 gallon of grade B maple syrup and 6 lbs wildfrower honey and Lavlin 1122. all appears to be going well, very active fermentation, ABV is already at 4% with my SG at 1.090 down from 1.119. everything is going great...

EXCEPT...

... unlike other meads that i have made, this has a terrible salty yeast smell. the taste is fine, starts entirely honey and finishes entirely maple (i assume this is because the maple is easier for the yeast to eat, when i tasted before fermentation the taste was entirely maple)

my question is, is this a normal thing? none of my hydromels or cycers have ever made this smell before so i'm a little concerned, but it's the first acerglyn I've ever made so maybe this is normal?

any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
- Jones

Don't ever judge anything by the smell while actively fermenting...some yeasts put off weird aromas (I've had 71B seem sulfury at times...), and anytime you're putting in a different fermentable that also adds to the mix and I suppose could make it seem different than you're used to...let it finish, settle down, and then see what it smells/tastes like. I'm sure as long as your sanitation and technique were sound you'll be pleased...

Latest posts

Back