Manifold question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knarfks

Reaction score
I'm building a manifold for a rectangular cooler. I'm wondering if anyone has tried drilling holes rather than cutting slits in the copper tubing. Anyone have an idea whether there would be a problem with stuck sparges or any other problems?

I don't have a very good way to cut slits in the copper.

I'm sure its been done. The smaller holes you use the better probably... you'll just need more of them. Too big and they'll allow grain particles through.

I built mine out of CPVC but it is basically the same.

I drilled perhaps 120 - 13/16th holes for the 4 leg manifold for the 70 qt mash tun I made. I offset every other hole by about 45 degrees.

It seems to work well, only 1 stuck sparge which was easy to clear.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

knewshound

knewshound
You mean 3/16 inch holes?

I used 1/8" holes, and honestly I don't know how many I drilled, but I spaced them 1/2" and drilled on 4 sides. I was worried that I had screwed up and would leave a lot of fluid behind, but I tried it with just water and it only left behind maybe 2 cups of water. Will have to see how it goes.

This is what happens when you have 4 days off a week and a lowes a block away.

http://knarfks.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?a=67b0de21b32b6e24c41f&auto=0&m=1&d=1173841630567

knarfks said:
knewshound
You mean 3/16 inch holes?

I used 1/8" holes, and honestly I don't know how many I drilled, but I spaced them 1/2" and drilled on 4 sides. I was worried that I had screwed up and would leave a lot of fluid behind, but I tried it with just water and it only left behind maybe 2 cups of water. Will have to see how it goes.

This is what happens when you have 4 days off a week and a lowes a block away.

http://knarfks.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?a=67b0de21b32b6e24c41f&auto=0&m=1&d=1173841630567
That is pretty sweet. I use pair of stainless braids right now but I'm thinking of building a copper manifold. I've had to replace my braids a few times when they get crushed accidentally. They also float around; you're never quite sure where they are. Did you solder the joints or did you just fit them together to allow easier cleaning?

fit them together, they are actually snug enough I won't worry about them coming apart.
I'll give it a try this weekend, if I get stuck sparges, then I'll use paint strainer bags, 0.99 a pair won't break the bank.

I love this site, gives me so many ideas, and saves me money because I can steal ideas from DIY projects. :D

I asked this very question probably about a week ago. I thought that since I have a cordless drill and a drill press, holes would be easier. But upon further consideration, I decided that the slits would be superior because a hole is easier to plug up than a slit- this is why musical instruments use holes, not slits. I think the slits make stuck sparges a little less likely.

I'm not saying holes won't work- I know they will. I just think the slits are a superior design. I wound up doing mine with a dremel tool with the cutting wheel attachment. It worked like a charm!

I also made my slits diagonal to get more length to each slit.

6513-Manifold.jpg

Back