Mangrove Jack M02 Cider Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
Has anyone used Mangrove Jack M02 yeast for their ciders? I have been using Notthingham and like it, but I am thinking about trying a couple batches with something else, and I was considering either this one, or Safale S-04. Any suggestions?

BtW, I like a slightly sweet finish and lots of fruit esters

S04 is my go to for my reg ciders & lower ABV ice ciders. Cold crashes awesome...very solid lees...and crystal clear. I start my reg ciders in the 1.063ish range(via added FAJC) and cold crash for 48hrs at 1.012ish give or take a few points. Typically ferment in the mid60s temp range.....and it lasts about 7days. End result is a semi-sweet, appley tasting/smelling cider -- and depending on the starting juice can get hints of different fruits.

I then toss back into 1gal jugs & bottle condition with cinnamon sticks, 100% fruit juice concentrates from Brownwoodacres.com . No chemicals or added dry sugars ever for me.

I haven't tried the Mangrove Jack yeast yet.

Cheers & Good luck! [emoji111]

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies all. I believe I will go with S04 in my next ciders.
I toss one pak unrehydrated in my 5-6gal batches....and will typically see initial airlock activity within about 4-6hrs.

Cheers & Good luck [emoji111]

I've used mostly Nottingham and S-04. Nottingham definitely has more character, but it's worth a shot for the sake of comparison. I haven't found anything better than Nottingham... yet.

I've used mangroves Cider yeast and it makes a very dry, clear and clean Cider. only thing is that mangroves Cider yeast does ferment all the way down so you'll have to backsweeten afterwards. this is tricky if you bottle carbonate. I've tried using many different artificial sweeteners but I always seem to get it wrong. my best results to date is with a cider yeast with sweetener from eBay.

Has anyone used Mangrove Jack M02 yeast for their ciders?

Discussion on HBT about Mangrove Jacks is somewhat biased by the fact that they're not very well represented in the US, where most HBTers live. I've not used it myself, but from what I've seen on other forums people seem to like M02 a lot, it's one of the good ones for cider.

If you haven't yet, read CvilleKevin's research on yeast strains. His favourite was Brupaks, which I'm fairly sure is just a white label version of Munton's ordinary (not Gold), which is pretty much the cheapest dry yeast in the UK. In turn, Munton's probably shares a common origin with Danstar Windsor and Fermentis S-33, so if you can't get it, try one of those two.

I've used Mangrove Jack's M02&05 for ciders and meads and love them both.

The 02 comes out a bit drier tasting than the 05 (though both don't taste anywhere near as dry as they should with how low the FG gets with them), but the 02 has some amazing fruit esters coming from it when compared to a standard Notty cider, that easily outperform a lot of the cider yeasts I have used.

There was someone who did a comparison of numerous yeasts all with the same juice & conditions. Mangrove Jack was one of them. But the wild yeast was best. I accidentally did a wild yeast last year and I agree it’s the best I ever made. Not that I can take credit for anything other than sanitizing everything.

There was someone who did a comparison of numerous yeasts all with the same juice & conditions. Mangrove Jack was one of them. But the wild yeast was best. I accidentally did a wild yeast last year and I agree it’s the best I ever made. Not that I can take credit for anything other than sanitizing everything.

My wild ferment was just "meh". But it may have been the particular batch of Gotta's cider (last of the season).

I like the Mangrove Cider yeast. Came out Dry but still had some decent flavor. Also depends on the cider you are using but it is definitely worth using. I have another 3 gallon batch going right now with some delicious fresh pressed cider and the mangrove. Ill let you know how it turns out!

Curious :

How it cold crashes?

How solid are the lees?

Typical fermentation days needed?

Peace Out [emoji111]

To be honest I have never cold crashed my ciders as I usually let them sit in primary for 3-6+ months so it's always crystal clear on its own, so can't help with that question.

As for the Lees, I find Mangrove hard to describe, while it compacts down ridiculously low, it's easily disturbed and light . The best description I have heard for it is dust like.

I've used it and the cider turned pretty well. I still prefer champagne yeast or wyeast sweet mead/cider yeast personally. But give it a try, experimenting is all part of the fun!

Count me in on the mangrove cider yeast fan club. I’ve used a few wine yeast before as well as Notty, and I’ve never been impressed with them. Mangrove leaves much more appleness than the rest.

As far as fermentation time and cold crashing, I’m with TGFV. I usually let it sit in primary for a couple of weeks, then tfer to a glass carboy for at least 2 to 3 months. By then it’s crystal clear.
It also depends on your juice. Non pasteurized, frozen AJ from the orchard clears much quicker than supermarket pasteurized juice.

Take this with a grain of salt because im a cider noob, but i've made 1 cider using M02 and it took 1st place in the largest home brew comp in the Caribbean this year. Mine fermented out to 1.005 after about 3-4 weeks. I back sweetened with half a can of apple juice concentrate in the keg. I didnt cold crash in the fermenter, i didnt rack to a secondary, the cider is clear but not crystal clear.
Im making my second ever cider now and im using MO2 again

I'd really like to try some of this stuff. It might be hard to find in Japan, though. :(

Latest posts

Back