mango and beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davealicious

Reaction score
so, i've made a mango puree, and was getting ready to pasteurize it, but then i started reading how that will ruin it etc.

basically, i wanna add some mango to 2g of a 12% RIS i made just for funzies because i've never done it. I've pureed 4 mangos and trying to figure out what i should do next. Any advice is welcome!

should i kill the yeast in the beer? (freeze crash it? Campden tablets?)

should i freeze the mango or should i heat the mango?

Thanks in advance guys, been out of brewing for about the last 5 years and trying to get back into it! life's been real rough and it's nice to have a hobby i love back

Not sure it would go well with a RIS, but it's your beer. It's awesome in a wheat! Freeze the mango and add to the secondary in my opinion. From my experiences, more flavor and less risk of contamination occurs when adding stuff to secondary.

Funny you say that, I'm not sure it'll go well either! I made a 6g batch to get back into the swing of things, OG of 1.102 and currently sitting at 1.020. split into 3, 2G batches after racking into a secondary and they are split like this

2g beer, 1lb cocoa nibs, 8 vanilla beans, 4oz Blantons bourbon, American oak
2g beer, 10oz local espresso, 6oz lactose
2g beer, 4 mangos (Pureed) and a handful of chipotle chilis

I just haven't gotten the last one going, the girlfriend thought it would be cool, so i accepted her idea

also, this was the first high gravity beer i've used straight metered O2 for, and holy cow what a difference it made during primary! i used to brew 10g batches in keggles all the time (AG) and kinda just wanted to do something small to get back. Plans to up my rig are already in the works now that i'm back to being settled in a place again! had to go to three different friends houses to gather all my brewing gear lol

another thing i learned, 5 year old (whole grain) malt, doesn't give you very good efficiency. tried to brew a batch first with that and ended up with around 50% YIKES!! fresh malt and i'm back to 75ish

@crusader1612 thats next, its in primary right now, Mosiac and Amarillo hops. 4oz each continuously hopped during the boil for a 5g batch. estimated ibus of 140.

@C-Rider, it is. it is a lot. i have this obsession with vanilla stouts and coconut stouts. tusk and grain coconut is my favorite beer of all time next to OG bcbvs (the rye just didn't quite do it for me)

Thanks @Keywestbrewing that sounds like an awesome idea!

From what I've read 8 vanilla beans is a lot for only 2 gallons.

Agreed. When I want a strong vanilla flavor, I use 5 beans (split and soaked in vodka then added post-fermentation) for five gallons. Also, 1 lb of nibs is huge in a 2 gal batch. I just did 4 oz for a 5 gal brew and it is very noticeable. The good news is it will mellow over time. I used 12 oz a couple of years ago and it took 6 months to be drinkable.

Thanks @Keywestbrewing that sounds like an awesome idea!

I have a mango tree and make that beer as my sort of estate ale each summer. It's a great beer. One thing I've considered is leaving the mango in small chunks instead of a purée. Unfortunately with the purée you lose a lot of beer to the fruit solids. I think small chunks vs purée might have less loss in the fermenter.

Agreed. When I want a strong vanilla flavor, I use 5 beans (split and soaked in vodka then added post-fermentation) for five gallons. Also, 1 lb of nibs is huge in a 2 gal batch. I just did 4 oz for a 5 gal brew and it is very noticeable. The good news is it will mellow over time. I used 12 oz a couple of years ago and it took 6 months to be drinkable.

I was going to say the same thing about the cocao nibs, 1lb is a crap ton for 2 gallons!!! But, like you said, it will mellow. In the 5 gallon RIS I did, 4 oz of cocao powder in mash, and 4 oz cocao nibs in secondary. It was all chocolate for the first 4 to 6 months. After about a year the chocolate was gone.

I was going to say the same thing about the cocao nibs, 1lb is a crap ton for 2 gallons!!! But, like you said, it will mellow. In the 5 gallon RIS I did, 4 oz of cocao powder in mash, and 4 oz cocao nibs in secondary. It was all chocolate for the first 4 to 6 months. After about a year the chocolate was gone.

How was the cacao powder in the mash. I thought about doing that in a previous batch, but was afraid boiling it might cause more bitterness.

How was the cacao powder in the mash. I thought about doing that in a previous batch, but was afraid boiling it might cause more bitterness.

It was the first (and only time so far) that I had done that. I had no problems with bitterness. My only issue is that I used too much between the cocao powder, and the cocao nibs and had too much chocolate flavor.

While it does go away, I found that when it started to drop the flavor, it did it quickly.

I've used 14oz of frozen mango purée in a 5gal batch twice now. No problems either time.

Added to the secondary, then kegged it after 10 days.

I've made a mango wheat several times but have never loved it. Mash, boil, or fermenter... It always gets pretty tart. I just made a batch again actually, and this time I'm going to try sweetening with lactose. There is already 1 lb in the 5 gal batch, but it needs more.

If anyone can share a mango wheat recipe that they love I'd like to see it!

Agree with most posts. I wash whole mangoes. Let em sit in a bowl of starsan solution for 5 min.. Then peel and dice and put in nylon bag. I toss the bag in another plastic bag and vacuum seal and throw in freezer overnight. Thaw. Toss in secondary swirling every day.

I used 6# of mangoes in 5 gal prior to prepping them and the taste was subtle.

Also, use ripe mangoes and the same type. Mine were a bit underripe and a tad sour in the beer. No acetobacter sour, but probably from maleic acid.

Also, you can cold crash your primary and then transfer over to secondary in attempts and not having fermentation bubble off your flavor.

I pasturize all my fruit additions by holding a puree between 145 and 155 for 10 minutes and then racking the beer on top (with a good CO2 purge afterwards to keep any aceterbacter from being able to establish themselves on the floating fruit). From what I've ready as long as you keep it less than 155 degrees the pectin (haze forming carbohydrate) doesn't become a problem. I've added mangos, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and always with fantastic results and very little haze. You could always add some pectic enzyme when you rack the beer to secondary which wouldn't hurt. From BYO: "Pectinase enzymes reduce the size of the pectin molecule and also prevent the fragments from gelling." If you cold crash after adding pectin you would get a nice and clear beer. Not sure if this applies to your RIS so much but it would for any of the lighter beers.

I would sanitize the puree, however you like, then add it towards the end 5the primary. Hopefully, this will retain more flavor, but allow the mango solids to settle out before secondary. I'm sure you know this, but be sure to hydrometer test before and after adding puree, so you can re-calculate your anticipate your finished product's alcohol. Also consider testing and adjusting, if necessary, the acidity. Good luck. Sounds tasty.

Janet

I've made a mango wheat several times but have never loved it. Mash, boil, or fermenter... It always gets pretty tart. I just made a batch again actually, and this time I'm going to try sweetening with lactose. There is already 1 lb in the 5 gal batch, but it needs more.

If anyone can share a mango wheat recipe that they love I'd like to see it!

Count Mango von Mangosteen's Hefeweizen:

6.5 gal boil, 5 gal finished
5lbs white wheat
5lbs Pilsner
Mash @148-150f for >60 minutes
Batch sparge with 170f water to reach 6.5 gallons wort

Boil for 90 minutes
1oz Hallertau or Tettnang @60min remaining

Crash cool and aerate well
Pitch WLP300 w/starter
Ferment 1 week @ ~70f ambient
Add 2 pounds previously frozen sliced mango (think lunchbox sliced apple).
Ferment/infuse mangoes for two more weeks. Confirm stable gravity before bottling to 3 volumes CO2.

The lower mash temp increases fermentability. 70-72f ambient ferment temp brings out the yeast's fruity flavor- in this case the "banana ester" is perceived as mango due to the presence of actual mango. IMHO- Hefeweizen yeast is what makes a mango wheat successful.

I have found the combination of freezing and slicing yields the most mango flavor with minimal waste or mess.

My last two batches of beer, a mango saison, and a mango carrot amber both turned out great. I live on Maui and have a few mango trees in the backyard, so it just rained fruit for a month or so. I cut them up into cubes, froze overnight, then gave them a rough chop in a food processor. Put the contents into a muslin bag that went into the mash, before hop additions. I think adding them early imparted a rich, deep flavor. More of a subtle, dried fruit flavor, while letting the beer style hold it's expected traits.

MalaSunset.jpg

Back