Managing OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcashing1

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about a year now, 6 or so different batches, all mini-mash kits (someday I'll make the jump to light-speed...er, all-grain).

Today I brewed 5 gallons of Belgian Tripel (which I was very excited to do). However, when I finished up the boil process and took a reading, the OG was approximately .025 lower than expected (actual was 1.058; expected was 1.083). Not knowing what to do, nor wanting to leave it sitting around, I pitched the yeast (While Labs Abbey Ale), and went about the rest of my day.

I'm wondering now, though, is there anything that can be done, post-yeast, which might help raise the OG? I'm aiming for an ABV of 7-8%, which currently means I would need a FG of 0.995 or so - is that even likely?

Would appreciate feedback, or if I'll just have to settle (this time around) for a Belgian Tripel that's more along the lines of a 'regular'.

There are things you could do to raise your ABV not your OG. But in the long run I do not think it would be worth it

You can always boil up some extra LME or DME and add that to the fermenter to adjust your gravity. Or even plain table sugar. (be careful with this one, it might lead to "hot" flavors if not done correctly.) since you wouldn't need to worry about hop utilization a 15 min boil in a small amount of water should dissolve everything and kill any nasties. Cool and stir in with a sanitized spoon.

To raise the gravity 25 points in a 5 gal (25 x 5= 125 points) batch you would need approx. the following amounts:
DME 44 ppg = 2.84 lbs
LME 37 ppg = 3.38 lbs
Sugar 46 ppg = 2.71 lbs

I don't know much about brewing belgians, but maybe add some candi syrup? I think it's pretty normal to do that anyways, and it would atleast help get your ABV up.

Random thought.. What temp was your wort when you took the reading? If it was still hot it will read vastly different. Example 1.022 at 155 deg is really 1.042 when the temp is accounted for.

First thing I though of is that maybe there was a couple pounds of sugar in the recipe, but not supplied in the kit, that you neglected to add. If so, it's not a problem, and IMO better, to add simple sugar (boiled, as syrup) in the fermenter after the yeast have had a chance to chomp down some maltose.

If not, a 1.058 OG Tripel will still be a tasty brew. Plus, it'll be ready sooner.

Unfortunately, everything mentioned in the instructions was supplied. And while I am sure that it will be tasty, I'm simply uncertain that it'll get the ABV I was expecting, and hoping for. I noticed that @mcbethenstein gave me the appropriate amounts, so I may combine her advice with yours, and after week (and a second sample reading) add that in. Thanks!

Did you do full boil, or partial boil with top off water? If you topped off, it is very hard to mix wort with water sufficiently to get an accurate OG reading. If you did a full boil, did you use software to calculate your OG? With extract, it is very hard to miss your OG unless you forget to add something, or mess up the final volume.

Two things, The sample for the gravity test might not have been fully mixed, so it would read low. Second, as stated corrections for temperature need to be made when using your hydrometer. My chart says for 80 degrees add 3 so if you read 1.050 at 80* that would really be 1.053. I would take another gravity test before making any additions.

Back