Managed to clog unused aeration stone, and then it worked again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi all,
Last night I put together an aeration wand using a 2um stone fed with an ordinary aquarium pump. It worked all fine until I decided to boil the stone to remove any residues left from production ... Then it stopped bubbling, liquid would go through both ways, but air would not come out.

After a soak in PBW and an attempt to de scale it using acid, finally I remove the liquid left inside and it started bubbling again.

What's the deal!?

And most importantly what is the process for sanitizing prior aeration and cleaning after?

Thanks

I managed to rig up a broken racking cane with my .5 micron ss stone...I use those disposable red cylinders of o2...after I airate my wert (20 seconds)...I boil the stone in water for about 5- 10 minutes then I store it in my starsan solution , just tossing it in the bottle...B4 airating, I just spray wand with starsan never had a clog...ill bet your pump wont push air thru that lil stone......and my disposable tank is under pressure....fyi pure o2 tanks are 10 bucks and I get about 8- 10 batches

Sounds to me like it was just clogged with something and the PBW cleaned it out. I will usually pull mine out of the wort and let it continue to remove most of the wort through the air pump, then let it soak in starsan, then hook it back up to the pump to blow out the rest of the starsan and store it.

I do the same thing prior to using it, put it back in starsan, then blow it out with the air pump and proceed to put it in my wort.

Remember that the biggest culprit is touching the stone. The oils from your finger tips clog them. If you never, ever, ever, touch the stone itself it may never clog.

But how would you explain that liquid could go through but air would not go out?
I had the stone hooked to a hose, I could suck up PBW (lung power) and then push it out, but I wasn't able to blow any bubbles until I removed the liquid from inside.

I found one (only one) reference online stating that if solution gets inside the stone, it will clog and the recommendation was to always run the pump prior submerging the stone... Maybe my stone is just bad quality?

I managed to rig up a broken racking cane with my .5 micron ss stone...I use those disposable red cylinders of o2...after I airate my wert (20 seconds)...I boil the stone in water for about 5- 10 minutes then I store it in my starsan solution , just tossing it in the bottle...B4 airating, I just spray wand with starsan never had a clog...ill bet your pump wont push air thru that lil stone......and my disposable tank is under pressure....fyi pure o2 tanks are 10 bucks and I get about 8- 10 batches

I hear you, but here these 1 ltr oxygen bottles are around 35 dollars plus delivery and 40 for the reg. I will have to stick to the aquarium pump for now, unfortunately. It is nonetheless an upgrade from splashing during transfer .. :(

Sounds to me like it was just clogged with something and the PBW cleaned it out. I will usually pull mine out of the wort and let it continue to remove most of the wort through the air pump, then let it soak in starsan, then hook it back up to the pump to blow out the rest of the starsan and store it.

I do the same thing prior to using it, put it back in starsan, then blow it out with the air pump and proceed to put it in my wort.

Maybe, I did handled with my bare hands, but the curious thing is that liquid could go through, in and out. But air could not go out. :confused:

Maybe, I did handled with my bare hands, but the curious thing is that liquid could go through, in and out. But air could not go out. :confused:

Was there a leak in the tubing somewhere? If so, that could prevent air from reaching the stone, yet liquid would pass through the stone's pores due to capillary action.

When done using it, blast some air through the stone for a few seconds while it's submerged in Starsan, then remove from the Starsan (while still applying air) and let the air clear the pores until you don't see anything more coming out. This may take several more seconds, but it ensures clean pores. Then store it in a plastic bag.

Was there a leak in the tubing somewhere? If so, that could prevent air from reaching the stone, yet liquid would pass through the stone's pores due to capillary action.

When done using it, blast some air through the stone for a few seconds while it's submerged in Starsan, then remove from the Starsan (while still applying air) and let the air clear the pores until you don't see anything more coming out. This may take several more seconds, but it ensures clean pores. Then store it in a plastic bag.

Thanks MaxStout, there were no leaks. I did check.
I have concluded that to completely clear the liquid from inside the stone you need more pressure then my cheap aquarium pump and lungs can deliver.
I will look for a better pump.

I hear you, but here these 1 ltr oxygen bottles are around 35 dollars plus delivery and 40 for the reg. I will have to stick to the aquarium pump for now, unfortunately. It is nonetheless an upgrade from splashing during transfer .. :(

hmmmmm BernzOmatic Oxygen 1.4 oz red bottle....10 bucks @ the big box store I have a Menards but I am sure you could get it at lowes...Home Depot ect small regulator I think I paid 20 bucks online

Back