Man this frustrated me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
Had people over for New Years and Brewer up 10 gallons and put it on tap. Also had a couple of batches bottled. The feedback was as follows. Wife loves it. Would rather drink it then commercial beer. Another home fewer loved it couldn't stop drinking it. One none Brewer thought it was awesome. Then the biggest beer drinker there had some of my citra hopped apa and liked it then had a Brains Welsch Ale clone. I under carbonated it to try and imitated a cask ale. I thought it worked pretty good. Low carbonation but if you pour it from a height it produces a creamy head with low carb. Much like a sparkler produces. Not perfect but close. So he finishes that then says man it's not bad but commercial Brewers are still so much better. There so consistent and so perfect. (He's referring to Moslen Canadian, bud light, corona and coors banquet). I wanted to look at him and say there all perfect at being skunked and tasting like nothing but agreed yes there is a lot my technology that goes into making these beers so they are perfect. Man did that comment irritate me as what he said is exactly why I started home brewing. I wanted the variety. I was sick of all the beer here tasting the same. And I wanted to freshness and difference offered in English pubs that have the real ale. Sorry had to vent to people that understood. The wife didn't get it.

Opinions are like ******** dude, everyone has one. Don't let his get you down, as long as you and your wife like it then who cares what that guy thinks? Sounds like the rest of the people there liked it too, so I wouldn't let the one differing opinion put too much of a damper on things, sounds like your beer was/is a success. Cheers to that!

I used to bring my growlers to family parties and would think the party would stop and everyone would be talking about how great my beer is kind of thing.Never happened.Now I bring My growlers and if your into it and like my beer great,if not,its all good.No expectations..no let downs.So much easier..Brew what you like and F the rest

Choose your friends wisely.. I have a couple very close and dear friends and we agree, on about nothing...They even like IPA go figure..:p

Lots of good feedback from people who know what they're talking about, and one stupid comment from an ignoramus. Who cares what that guy thinks? Would the chef at a fancy Italian restaurant give half a s**t if someone said "your award winning cuisine is okay, but it's not as good as Chef Boyardee"?

If that guy ever comes back, he gets nothing but ice cold Coors in a mug out of the freezer.

Lots of good feedback from people who know what they're talking about, and one stupid comment from an ignoramus. Who cares what that guy thinks? Boyardee"?

Hey..my comment wasn't that bad..:D

Opinions are like ******** dude, everyone has one.

Sounds familiar. I have nothing to add, but wanted to post here since I already had that saying in my sig, and the OP definitely needs to understand that it's a true statement.

As frustrating as it can be to hear derisive comments about your beer, I am sure your experience is not uncommon. Most individuals in America have been programmed to enjoy bland, tasteless excuses for beer. A lot of the discrimination against craft beer and homebrewing is steeped in the idea that more capital and technology produces a better product. And it's easier for those individuals to rationalize this prejudice than to expose their palates to a new realm of choices.

My advice? Don't take it personally. It's like listening to a McDonalds junkie criticize a Michelin starred restaurant.

Yeah, don't worry about it. You could explain that the second beer was meant to have low carbonation like a cask ale (I do that often myself), but maybe it's not worth it. If you and most of you friends appreciate it, I would consider it a success.

Thanks for all the feedback. Any beer j can get my wife to like i consider a success. She typically hates beer. And I thought the brains clone was bang on and was so happy to be able to drink it over here. Just frustrating to here the ignorance in people. Especially when there drinking free beer. Almost made me want to brew a bland basic plain lager just so he can taste that I too can make the "scientific technologically advanced brews" that's are so plane and bland molson does. Then I decided not to.

He's an ignorant doofus. As a brewer, you know a ton more about beer than he ever will.

People like that? When they start flapping their gums about beer, I just treat them like a 4-year-old who says something silly like insisting that the world is flat: "Oh that's so interesting! Such a great observation! Thank you!"

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance

And Emerson didn't live in a time where insipid, mass produced crap surrounds us.

First, don't let negative feedback upset you. You had 3 great reviews and one that was neither great nor horrible. That's a success in my book

No matter what you do, there will always be somebody who has negative criticism. Chances are your buddy just wanted to have something to say to make him feel superior in beer knowledge. It's also possible he may provide decent constructive criticism. Nobody likes to be told they can do better, but really we all can.

If his approval of your beer means so much to you, I'd recommend brewing a beer that aligns with his idea of good beer and show him you know what you're doing.

Back